Sundays in Borough Market

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 12
Wednesday 1 February 2006 10.51am
We at Roast in Borough Market are interested in learning about your thoughts on opening hours on Sundays.

Before we opened several people told us there was no point in being open on a Sunday. We decided to open on Sundays for lunch only and see how it went. This has proved a popular choice with local residents as well as with visitors from further a field. We are therefore considering extending our Sunday opening hours to cover Breakfast and Dinner.

We would like to hear your thoughts about this as local residents of SE1. Would you go out for Breakfast on a Sunday? Do you ever go out for dinner on Sunday evening and if so, would you consider going to a restaurant such as Roast? What would you like to see on a Sunday evening menu?
Wednesday 1 February 2006 10.59am
Roast wrote:
What would you like to see on a Sunday evening menu?

The word "Sundays", with no stray apostrophes

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 1 February 2006 11.09am
I think it's a good idea to open on a Sunday- I know we often go out for breakfast or lunch on Sundays; however, perhaps you should read some of the other comments Forum-ers have posted here about Roast.
I know I was put off going by the unfavourable reviews others have given it.
Perhaps you should concentrate on sorting any problems out first before extending opening hours.
Wednesday 1 February 2006 11.24am
I don't understand why Borough Market is not open on a Sunday especially as it gets so busy on Saturdays. At the moment, it is not worth taking visitors to the area on Sunday morning as it's hit and miss whether anything will be open.
Wednesday 1 February 2006 11.39am
I think it would be a good idea to open Sunday evening. Morning would depend on the price/menu. If there was a relaxed an affordable brunch I could be tempted.

However like Sarah above I should mention I have been put off from trying Roast by the generally poor reviews.
Wednesday 1 February 2006 11.56am
You would need to consider whether you want to be child-friendly. Ransoms Dock in Battersea also serves British food, and is fantastically child friendly - though as a relief to all they usually seat people with toddlers in one area. They do a nice Sunday brunch with a special menu, which is great for events such as mother's day, in-laws visiting and so on.

At the moment Tas or Tas Pide would be our first choice in the area, if we choose to have a step up from the inevitable Pizza Express . Simply because it is so much nicer if you know a restaurant is going to be relaxed. I assume there is a market for families visiting London who want to eat nicely at lunchtime as there is no need to think about baby-sitting. The question is whether you would want the hassle.

Sarah
Wednesday 1 February 2006 1.53pm
I'm pleased Roast are opening a dialogue in this forum.

I also avoided Roast due to the reviews I read just after it opened but I am keen to support new restaurants in the area and I'm always keen for new brunch/dinner venues. I used to spend a lot of Sundays at the Butler's Wharf chains but I've been visiting the new Wagamama s at the Clink and Festival Hall rather a lot recently.

Sunday on the riverside can be very frustrating due to the fact that everywhere is packed and most places only do lunch which really means that at 3pm, they've all run out of their 'roast of the day'.

So a destination for a meaty brunch before an afternoon on the riverside would be welcome, as would somewhere which could actually sell you roast beef and veg at 7pm.

I would be fully supportive of Borough Market opening on a Sunday.
Wednesday 1 February 2006 3.04pm
Like most people who have posted, I have been put off visiting Roast because of the reviews. Opening on Sunday sounds a great idea but please not just a meaty brunch, something delicious for vegetarians would be good as well. Most places I have visited on a Sunday in the area for traditional type food have a woeful choice for vegetarians.
Wednesday 1 February 2006 3.33pm
sarahmc wrote:
I think it's a good idea to open on a Sunday- I know we often go out for breakfast or lunch on Sundays; however, perhaps you should read some of the other comments Forum-ers have posted here about Roast.
I know I was put off going by the unfavourable reviews others have given it.
Perhaps you should concentrate on sorting any problems out first before extending opening hours.

As someone who has been to Roast and had an awful experience, I'd echo this. You've got some other things to sort out in the hours you are already open.

Sunday opening is welcome in my book - for any restaurant. Poor service is not - and I wouldn't go there anymore often on Sunday if I didn't like the restaurant in the first place or if it was a poor value.
Wednesday 1 February 2006 4.19pm
I have been to Roast twice. On the first occasion I had an excellent first course and poor main. On the second time it was all below average for the price. Can't comment on the service as there wasn't any.

Sort the basics Monday to saturday before thinking about Sunday.

If you get it right people will flock in as the venue is good
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 12

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: