Live Six Nations

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 1 February 2006 9.09pm
We at The Roebuck in Great Dover Street are interested in learning about your thoughts on Live Sport in the area.

We have just invested in a projector screen for our upstairs Lounge and intend to show all of the Six Nations games live.

When we took over the pub a couple of years ago, there was a very different clientele, with quite a few undesirables. One of our methods to remove this element was to stop showing football on the big screen downstairs.

We are proud of our current reputation, and are seriously considering showing all of the world cup matches in the summer.

However we don't want to attract the wrong crowd. So, we would love to hear your feedback on your experiences of watching live sport at venues in SE1, and also what you would like to see with regards to venues and live sport over the coming months...
Wednesday 1 February 2006 9.24pm
This seems more like an advertisement than genuine market research.
Thursday 2 February 2006 11.01am
the upstairs telly lounge sounds good... personally I would be there for the rugby and then the world cup. i like the place anyway.

Having been downstairs at The Roebuck for 2 beers on Sunday night, I really value the low-key atmosphere. That's your key strrength, imho, so I say "hold on to what you've got" and ensure that rowdiness is kept upstairs. Tough task, I'd guess.
Thursday 2 February 2006 11.16am
I'm glad the Roebuck is planning on showing the Rugby, I'd been hopeing for somewhere good to watch it and I like the pub. I'm not a huge football fan, but have been known to go to a pub to watch big internationals so if i could watch the world cup in a not too testosterone heavy setting I'd probably come along. I think there are quite a few other places that show football in the area, but not so many for Rugby.
Thursday 2 February 2006 11.57am
Unless they start showing Rugby League (whose season starts this weekend with the World Club Challenge, televised on satellite), then I'm not interested.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 3 February 2006 11.46am
Sod league. Some Union club games would also be good. Can we smoke upstairs?
Friday 3 February 2006 11.48am
Where else shows the rugby?
Friday 3 February 2006 12.15pm
Welcome to the forum sdowse. Glad to see you propose sodomy in your first post. That could be a record. Looking forward to more of your open-minded comments and friendly chat.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 6 February 2006 12.01pm
The Stage Door near the Old Vic Theatre in Waterloo is a top place for sport, and the licencee is a big rugby fan so you can guarantee they'll show all matches. Sdowse, I unfortunately cannot guarantee sodomy but am sure you can smoke.

Also, I'd be interested to know if there was any demand to watch live premiership rugby in the area. It seems to be all premiership football - your opinions would be appreciated.

Monday 6 February 2006 1.48pm
Having recently discovered the Roebuck I think it is a great pub and a positive change from the majority of pubs east of there (the Hartley and Bermondsey St excepted). I hope that if you do decide to reintroduce the football you won't turn it into a full time 'football pub'.

As a rugby supporter I'm keen to come and watch some matches at the Roebuck but for my tuppence worth, I'd prefer to only see big matches of any sport, not every premier match. So to answer your question Simon, I'd say yes to things like the FA cup final or World Cup matches and the Six Nations of course but no to Premier League. That should ensure you avoid becoming a football pub and in turn should avoid problems with 'undesirables'. Whilst you're considering it, why not include other major sporting events too such as Wimbledon finals (or anything with a Brit in?) or some motorsport. Just a thought....
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: