Design Museum Relocating

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 2 February 2006 1.51pm
It's a shame the Design Museum is relocating as it means the river frontage of Shad Thames will just be wall to wall restaurants and pubs unless they can think of something else to put there but I can't imagine what. It is the main reason I ever walk that far down - to either visit or browse around the shop which is full of interesting bits and pieces. With More London's predictable range of outlets, it just makes that whole stretch very corporate and anonymous. What does everyone else feel?

Related news & features

Thursday 2 February 2006 2.10pm
Agree. Like you, the only reasons I'd have to go past the bars and restaurants down there would be to go the the Design Mus. or to go on a walk down the riverside.

Wait for Conran to lobby them to stay.

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 2 February 2006 2.28pm
Where are they going?
Thursday 2 February 2006 2.37pm
They're not saying at the moment:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 3 February 2006 1.21pm
I heard a rumour that they were investigating sites in the new Kings Cross development.
Friday 3 February 2006 2.23pm
First they take our Eurostar, now it's the Design Museum!

I'm off to the NFT (while it's still there) to see if they can get me a copy of "Passport to Pimlico", and the first series of "Citizen Smith". Will report back on plans for the Independent Republic of SE1 in due course.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 3 February 2006 3.13pm
Or maybe even Potters Fields! The council are still pursuing a cultural use for the site with housing attached. Just received this info from the council:
'Regarding the latter (executive meetings), a report on joint working with Berkley's MAY be going to the Exec on the 14th Feb. (its not yet decided) If it does, part of the meeting will be open, part (where financially confidential matters are discussed) will be closed to the public.'
Mickey Salt, I'll be seeing you there.
Friday 3 February 2006 3.22pm
Ivanhoe - you get my vote for Head of the Republic of SE1 - I look forward to seeing 'Vote for Ivanhoe' posters going up on local lamp-posts. What's on your manifesto?

I hope they do stay around here and that something interesting moves to the existing site, not another restaurant or more flats. We could do with a cinema and a swimming pool - not necessarily combined! However, I can't imagine anyone coming along and installing either of those as the building/land is far too valuable as something more commercially focused.
Friday 3 February 2006 4.30pm
And now I read that the Gatwick Express is being cancelled. How long before the Eurostar goes? And WHY is the Design Museum moving? What's wrong with the premises they have?
Friday 3 February 2006 4.38pm
Osamede wrote:
Where are they going?

Call me an old cynic, but I suspect to whichever development site is offering the best deal to a cultural "anchor tenant" in the way of a new building with free/cheap rent (to give their "regeneration" development project some credibility.)
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: