The Church and Octavia Hill Estate

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 5 February 2006 10.26am
It is with deep regret that any respect I have had previously for the Church of England has now gone.

I cannot in good faith support a Church that I believe is devoid of decency and respect for the communities and people it professes to want to help and be part of.

As a tenant of the Winchester Estate, we have had Southwark Cathedral trying to destroy our community by behaving as a speculative property developer rather a than member of our community.

Now, the Church Commissioners have behaved in an unethical manner in the sale of the estate in a to the detriment of tenants, whatever spin the the Commissioners put on it, and when social rentable housing in London is so needed.

Although a number of local clergy have been supportive, I have little respect left for a Church who seem unable to reconcile its ethical practice with its professed faith.
Sunday 5 February 2006 8.10pm
I second that Nik.
Sunday 5 February 2006 8.12pm
I was invited at a reception at Lambeth Palace last year to mark the setting up of a fund to help further her work. I had never heard of Octavia Hill, but was deeply impressed to learn how much she had achieved. Not least because I understand that she had help create Archbishops Park.

But much more. Housing, green space, employment, health and education all go together. Yet in every direction her ideals seem to be lost, diverted, or ignored, and her heritage misappropriated. More recently I visited the Octavia Hill Birthplace Museum in Wisbech which was really interesting. My kids were amazed with lifesized figures of a large family crowded into a single room, and the records of how many lived in a single house.

I don't know much about the Waterloo housing issue, but everywhere ideals seems to have been lost in favour of short term expediency.

Scope for a SE1 political party? More cider could be part of our slogan.
Sunday 5 February 2006 10.56pm
Interesting article by Janet Street Porter in the Independent today (Sunday) commenting on these sales which seem to be so unethical...selling to the highest bidder etc. She points out that the Bishop of Oxford has just acquired a home for two million pounds courtesy of the same Church Commisioners.Could he not live in a flat? Or a stable? Money will still have to be spent on improving the Oxford home of course.
Monday 6 February 2006 10.06am
Not to be too cynical here, but its not exactly historically exceptional for the church to be all about money, nor for its "servants" to be actually self-serving. :-)
Monday 6 February 2006 1.29pm
think your right many bits of silver were in this deal I wonder! :-)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: