Bermondsey Street "Home Zone"

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Sunday 5 February 2006 11.39am
Re the news item on the proposal to turn Bermondsy street into a "Home Zone".

"Home Zone: "Where pedestrians rule and where there are no through vehicles at all, and where all other vehicles that either live or have business in the area creep about at walking pace."

I do think that this idea has merit but where does all the business traffic now using it go? At the moment Long Lane is a disaster as there are only single yellow lines along much of it's narrow length, same for Abbey Street and Grange Road. All these roads have become busier since the Congestion charge was introduced (TfL figures from their site supports this). The system of traffic management in this borough appears to lack any central plan, witness a bus lane in Grange Road that holds up 50% of the bus traffic turning right, at the expense of the other 50% going straight on. Do any of the planners actually drive a vehicle? Has anyone seen the traffic chaos at the Western end junction of Long Lane every single day? Now we have the amazing weirdness that is seen at the Southern end of Westminster Bridge. 3 lanes forced into 1 sharing with the ludicrous bendy busses.

Yes I'm a driver dissappointed at the support this council is giving the small businesses in the area.
Sunday 5 February 2006 8.08pm
See the on-going thread re Tooley Street Red Route - The Road Traffic Act and Highway Code aren't enforced there. The concept of Home Zones is wonderful but rules need to be enforced to be affective.
Jac
Monday 6 February 2006 10.48am
Like Jerry I have concerns for the affects this would have on Long Lane, selfish I know as I live on Long Lane but then so do many others. It is afterall a residential road too just a lot busier in the first place, the more quieter roads are cut off to through traffic the more the traffic on Long Lane and other similar roads increases. For the record I am a non driver.
Ed
Monday 6 February 2006 1.45pm
I have some real doubts about this idea. Bermondsey Street takes a lot of traffic (and indeed local commercial traffic) and whilst I'm sure those of us who live there would love to see it gone or reduced it seems to me that it would just accentuate the problem for everyone living in the surrounding streets. In our area we've had enough of the "not on my doorstep" approach. The idea of even crawling taffic running both ways up and down Bermondsey Street strikes me as sheer madness (its just not wide enough); better for all if the money was spent enforcing the existing parking restrictions and dealing with the railway arches (how long has that been on the action list??)

.. and finally a word to the cyclists (well only the irresponible ones) - "one way" means that to you as well - especially when you choose to cycle after dark with no lights down by Bermondsey Kitchen - I don't want a dent in the front of my car and you sure don't want to try flying over it!
Monday 6 February 2006 2.16pm
Must admit, I thought B St was pretty much operating as a homezone (or whatever it is) anyway.

Just like the roads around the Market on Saturdays, there are so many pedestrians walking in the roadway, that traffic can only go slowly anyway. Has there been a spate of accidents of near misses recently to spark off this change? I haven't heard of anything.

I agree with Ed about the width of the road being inappropriate for 2-way traffic.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 6 February 2006 4.10pm
Any traffic free zone is a "plus" in the city. Pedestrians tend to lose their right to life the momen they step off the side walk. So I support the Home Zone idea 100%
Delivery and other commercial vehicles can operate in time slots
Monday 6 February 2006 4.30pm
I don't seem to live in the same city as the davidheys. I have only witnessed two pedestrian traffic accidents in 28 years here, thankfully, only one serious one, and that was in Oxford street between a bus and a tourist, does he live somewhere that pedestrains are regularly squished? There are perfectly useable pavements on both sides of Bermondsey street and in fact many pedestrians do wander into road here but traffic does move slowly here because of traffic calming measures already in place, and most pedestrians can be trusted to look both ways. Why do people assume that pedestrians should leave their brains behind if they cross a road?
<p>
Having business traffic operating in time slots is un-policeable and a little un-thought through, sorry. I'm expected to work when my clients want me, that's you, the population of London, I can't see an excuse based on traffic timetables going down too well.
Monday 6 February 2006 4.35pm
The section of Shad Thames between Horsleydown Lane and Maguire Street is closed to motor vehicles for much of the day (deliveries etc are permitted 7am-11am and a few hours in the evening, ISTR).

Perhaps someone who lives there could comment on how well (or otherwise) that scheme works?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 6 February 2006 4.50pm
Whilst I think James' knowledge is as comprehensive as ever and I would also like to know how well that zone works for deliveries, are there residential and small business units there? I do think that Bermondsey Street's historic role as a through road from Bermondsey Square to London Bridge and the Thames puts it into a different category to the Shad Thames cul-de-sac.

[quote James Hatts]The section of Shad Thames between Horsleydown Lane and Maguire Street is closed to motor vehicles for much of the day (deliveries etc are permitted 7am-11am and a few hours in the evening, ISTR).
Monday 6 February 2006 4.56pm
my concern would also be on the impact on the other streets in the area having to cope with the extra traffic. if it was shut then most cars who go down Bermondsey street (except for access) would probably use weston street which means more traffic here. Snowfields park is on Weston street and many children use this from the kipling estate and cross over Weston Street more traffic could lead to accidents here. It would seem illogical to think of shutting Bermondsey street when the major development of the square is unfortunately about to start as there could be road closures with lorries delivering etc which would cause problems as we constantly see in Long Lane at the moment.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network