Westminster Bridge roundabout

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
El Barto Tuesday 7 February 2006 7.36pm
What is going on with this roundabout at the foot of Westminster Bridge? For those who haven't passed recently, it's once again a roundabout but with only 2 lanes!

I understand they are knocking down that hideous building standing in the middle but it's causing chaos at rush hour! Any set date for the demolition that anyone knows of? If it's not soon, I'll get my hammer out and start myself.

Anyone else suffering with their journeys?
James Hatts Tuesday 7 February 2006 8.06pm
The new road layout is to enable the demolition to start : details here

See also details of the Park Plaza hotel planned for the roundabout

Editor of the London SE1 website and SE1 Direct newsletter
Zappomatic Tuesday 7 February 2006 8.55pm
I've found it's improved my journey to Victoria on the 148. In the morning it causes traffic to tail back to Lambeth North, but as my bus is in the bus lane it makes little difference. In the evening it's much better than when the roadworks were being done, probably no worse than before. Of course, it's essential work so that they can demolish the awful derelict building in the middle of it all.
El Barto Tuesday 7 February 2006 10.23pm
Zappomatic wrote:
I've found it's improved my journey to Victoria on the 148. In the morning it causes traffic to tail back to Lambeth North, but as my bus is in the bus lane it makes little difference. In the evening it's much better than when the roadworks were being done, probably no worse than before. Of course, it's essential work so that they can demolish the awful derelict building in the middle of it all.

Good point. I also get the 148 and it's not bad in the morning and evening. I keep looking back to 'before the roadworks', so by that, it is quite bad at the moment.

I got the bus home at lunchtime today and it was much worse than at rush hour which suprised me. We got onto the bridge and it took about 10-15mins to get right to the other side. Although having a bus lane, it doesn't help with all the bendy buses from the 12 and 453 stacked along it! lol

Thanks for the replies!
Zappomatic Wednesday 8 February 2006 10.55pm
My journey home was a nightmare while those works were going on. A couple of times the traffic backed up right to the other side of the bridge - arrgh! I wish they'd improve peak capactiy on the 148, it can be quite inadequate in the morning when all the schoolchildren pile on.
El Barto Thursday 9 February 2006 12.09am
The 148 schedule is a mess! Before it came about, the 211 used to be packed to double its capacity! The 148 is a great route going from Victoria to the Elephant direct but it's popular! I stand around waiting for it at about 5-ish for up to 20 minutes and find I can't get on. In that time, about six 507's have gone past almost empty. I know they pick the passengers up at Millbank but what makes the 507 more 'important' than the 148?

Argh! It annoys me so much. I'll go to bed thinking what a delight tomorrow morning will be now! *sarcasm detected*
Emmesse Thursday 9 February 2006 10.40am
I'm only on the 148 at weekends but I have noticed how popular it has become, particularly since the 12 was withdrawn from Notting Hill.

You should give your feedback to London Buses. Lots of people complained about the lack of capacity on the buses on the Old Kent Road in 2004 which led to them sending out monitors on several occasions before deciding to extend the 168.

https://www.tfl.gov.uk/buses/contact_form.asp
El Barto Thursday 9 February 2006 2.18pm
Thankyou Emmesse! I didn't realise they had a contact form!
Zappomatic Thursday 9 February 2006 3.28pm
I complained to them a few weeks ago and got a letter back saying that their statistics show capacity on the 148 is adequate and that they have no plans to change this in the foreseeable future. I've no idea what part of the route or what time of day they gather this information - clearly not in the morning and evening peaks between Elephant and Victoria! What amazes me on the 148 is that people can be pressed up against the window even when unlike other bus routes, every seat is occupied and people have moved all the way to the back of the bus (rather than clogging the entrance).

A couple of times I've tried taking whatever comes first and changing where necessary, only to find when I do get to a point where I can change I can't get on any of the buses there either.
Emmesse Thursday 9 February 2006 4.47pm
They used the same line re the Old Kent Rd congestion in 2004. They sent monitors out to get on buses and order people to go upstairs, as TFL thought that people refusing to climb the stairs was the problem. When the monitors couldn't actually get on any buses, TFL got the message.

It looks like you'll need to get lots of people to complain so that they start to question their own figures. The more feedback the better, I'd say.

I suspect the figures are flawed because drivers aren't correctly counting people on when they don't have an oystercard (not in driver's interest to show that he knows the bus is beyond capacity)

I may have just insulted many a London bus driver for which I apologise but I can't think of another reason why the official figures can be so wrong when the buses are bursting with passengers.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, you must be a registered user. If you are already registered, please log in.

Subscribe now

For the latest local news and events direct to your inbox every Monday, you need our weekly email newsletter SE1 Direct.

7,300+ locals read it every week. Can you afford to miss out?

Read the latest issue before signing up

Also on the forum

Views expressed in this discussion forum are those of the contributors and may not reflect the editorial policy of this website. Please read our terms and conditions