New venture- is this location too out of the way?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 9 February 2006 12.13am
Hi

I am looking to rent some space on one of the upper floors of the Rich Industrial Estate, Crimscott Street to provide accomodation for small businesses, perhaps some hotdesking and mailing services and if demand, some form of local business club with a lounge area. The floor has great views over towards the London Eye and Canary Wharf.
The link shows where Crimscott Street is located
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=533467&y=179047&z=0&sv=SE1+5TE&st=2&pc=SE1+5TE&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf

However certain people have advised me that they think the location is too weak and I need to be closer to E & C or London Bridge which I cannot afford.

I just wondered what local residents think. Can you imagine those working for themselves and fancying a small office base rather than working from home considering the Rich Industrial Estate as a possible location.

Any feedback would be most appreciated.

Elizabeth
Thursday 9 February 2006 10.06am
I think the facilities (parking, easy access for deliveries, car-dependent clients/staff) could outweigh some of the location issues. Handy for Mandela Way sorting office (see many many earlier threads as to whether this is a good thing or not). Great if clients/staff/occupier are coming from South East London, Kent etc by car. But not great for tube, train, City people - if physical visits to site are needed.

Benefits from clusters for small businesses can depend as much on what cooperation/synergies from other tenants can add value (or save costs) as much as the location itself. IT, secretarial, logistics, marketing support for example...

200 yards from Tower Bridge road should mean that it's seen as quite well located, IMO...

Just a 2p worth

Edited 2 times. Last edit at 9 February 2006 10.08am by markandjoan.
Saturday 18 February 2006 12.24am
Mark and Joan

Thank you for your feedback. I must admit I thought I might have received a few more listings.
Perhaps everyone who reads this Forum is in well paid jobs or has already "made it "and so working for oneself and looking for office space and support is not near the top of the agenda in terms of priorities.

Elizabeth
Saturday 18 February 2006 12.37am
I agree with Mark & Joan - I myself work from home as do many of my clients who live locally. Best of luck with your project Elizabeth.
Saturday 18 February 2006 9.16am
Honestly, I think you'll have a job getting a serviced space business to work if you can't get differentiation from others in the area.

You would have no passing traffic, and a pretty industrial area. The trouble is you are competing with Spacia in SE1 who have alot of converted railway arches for those who need space, or with the better located serviced office operators for those who want offices.

If you are going to locate there, you really need a USP which is going to pull people to you, rather than the same old offer. Will it be significantly cheaper, or will you offer something they can't get elsewhere? Are you targeting IT heavy small businesses (has it got UPS/CAT5?) or are you targeting small e-bay style businesses? In summary, what is your business plan, and why is it destined to work?

If I was to locate there, I would do the e-bay servicing business - you are close to the post office site, have good cheap delivery space and could process other peoples e-bay orders or sub-rent space to them so they have somewhere to store their goods and process their orders.

Just my view. It's probably wrong.

Regards,

Loafer
Saturday 18 February 2006 9.38am
Dear Loafer also Paul

Thanks for your feedback. I think the references to ebay are particularly useful. For your information the Spacia arches are generally rented out on a 3 year lease. Yes I am aware of what the serviced office operators are charging such as MLS in Borough High Street also Workspace etc.

I was thinking the idea of some form of business club with networking events for local small businesses might be of interest. I thought this might appeal to those either who work from home - which can be great but sometimes it is nice to get out and meet other local business people but also for those still at the thinking stage of doing their own thing.

There is so much redevelopment in the area and with so many 20 - 40 year olds moving in, the business club might provide a alternative venue for meeting local people. Grange Ward has a very high proportion of single people. Much higher than the average for London.

Elizabeth
Saturday 18 February 2006 10.53am
You might want to try BNI...see http://www.bni-europe.com/uk/index.htm...the contact details for the local "chapter" are:

Chapter: Robinson
Director: Steve Bradshaw
Email: s.bradshaw@montgomeryswann.com
Telephone: 020 7232 5324
Venue: Miller of Mansfield, 96 Snowsfields, London Bridge, SE1 3SS
Day: Thursday

I'm not a member, but my sister is and has got lots of business out of it. She even networked another sister ("you wait for one, and then three come along at once!") into a six month freelance job 3 days a week, which is absolutely perfect for her.

They simply network local businesses, and therefore it's a great place to get referrals.

Regards,

Loafer

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: