Back pain/ Osteopathy

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 February 2006 11.13am
Hello all,
Suffering from a sciatica for a few months now, my GP advised me to go to the British School of Osteopathy on Borough High Street? Has anyone of you been there? Can you recommend anyone in particular?
Many thanks for your advice
Tuesday 14 February 2006 11.41am
connie wrote:
Hello all,
Suffering from a sciatica for a few months now, my GP advised me to go to the British School of Osteopathy on Borough High Street? Has anyone of you been there? Can you recommend anyone in particular?
Many thanks for your advice

They are all students so no recommendations but you will get the same student on a subsequent visit unless you want a change. I think the service is good, the rooms are a bit basic though and the questions a bit tedious - make sure that if you need to go again that it is within 6 months of your first visit or the questioning starts all over again. Prices are very reasonable as well. If its your first time to an osteopath you may want to go to an experienced one first off, get a recommendation from your GP or friend. If you have any medical insurance get a referral from a GP to get it covered first.
Tuesday 14 February 2006 1.02pm
Ive been twice for different injury's. Very helpful and they are not aloud to do any thing to you until there supervisor has seen you.
Tuesday 14 February 2006 3.16pm
I've suffered from sciatica/ back and neck pain on and off for a few years. Instead of osteo work, I have chosen to opt for Physio, as I beleive that by strengthening the muscles around the areas, you can provide lasting relief.

I've recently discovered Back2Normal who, in additional to doing the usual pulling and clicking, also use funny machines (which look like the sort you get in a gym, but with far lighter weights, and far more focused) to strengthen individual areas of your back, neck.

A bit expensive if you don't have insurance (45ish per 45/1hr session) - but have been great for me.
www.back2normal.co.uk.

As per - I have no relationship with...
Tuesday 14 February 2006 3.32pm
I can recommend the BSO too, but only if you have a lot of time to spare. The first session is an hour and a half! Subsequent ones are not so bad but still long.

If you want to go to an experienced osteopath, you can't do better than Robin Kirk. He has treated me many times, the effect seems like magic (nearly always!), and just takes a few minutes, though you may have to go again or even for a third visit. Its obviously more expensive than students at the BSO. He is located in the building which has the Barrow Boy and Banker pub in, just at the end of London Bridge by the bus stop. On the left of the building is a short flight of stairs, kind of overlooking the Catherdral, then you ring the bell marked 'osteopath'. I do not want to put phone numbers on here, but will PM you with it if you PM me.
Jac
Tuesday 14 February 2006 3.52pm
I second the unlady like ms jo recommendation Robin kirk is great.
Tuesday 14 February 2006 4.00pm
Robin Kirk's details are here: http://www.findanosteopath.co.uk/londonbridge/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 15 February 2006 1.26pm
Thank you for all your suggestions, I will be going for my first consultation at the BSO on Friday. I must admit being handled by students scares me a little! So I will surely keep the details of Robin Kirk.
Monday 6 March 2006 2.48pm
I went recently and the students are closely supervised, and after the (long) assessment, the tutor ended up treating me. I was impressed with the service, although it is very basic. It really sorted out my pregnany related problem, so I was overall pleased with BSO.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: