Prefab building behind SE1 salon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 16 February 2006 11.41am
Has anybody been watching the assembly of the new prefab building directly behind the salon on Bermondsey street?

I've been riveted. I have spoken with some of the builders and the building itself has been shipped from Slovenia. The build crew are from the manufacturer. I've seen the units being installed and it is fabricated from some seriously thick wood. Although I myself wouldn't like that much wood, the design is interesting.

I'm told that when finished it will consist of 2 residences. An interesting use of what would otherwise be dead space.

I do wonder, though, how long it will be until a lorry drives through the lane and damages it, or the local kids hit the place with grafitti.
Thursday 16 February 2006 11.45am
Watch out for a feature on the prefab very soon...

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 February 2006 12.05pm
I understand it is the project of the couple who own the building housing the pilates studio at no 74. Must admit I have also wondered how long it will survive without attracting the attention of grafitti 'artists', and I assume the timber will weather from its current natural warm hue to grey / silver. It's an admirably original and brave piece of 'infill' at the very least!
Thursday 16 February 2006 12.33pm
More here:

Apparently it's a planning condition that the timber be stained black.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 16 February 2006 1.28pm
We live looking onto the new building (from the rear of Tyers Gate). The design is really clever and a breath of fresh air (compared to some of the new build around which tries and fails to mimick the older structures in the street). I also take my hat off to Rob and Amanada for taking the trouble to consult with everyone living close by about the plans. I wish all UK builders could run such a tidy, non-disruptive, site!
Thursday 16 February 2006 3.26pm
Hear Hear. Mrs Ed, baby Ed and I have spent many a happy moment watching progress.
Friday 17 February 2006 7.57am

What makes this project interesting is that its an example of 'proposition rather than opposition'.

Rob and Amanda faced a situation where a 4 storey building was going to be built along the back of their houses. Rather than get into a fight they took an altogether more creative route and put together their own planning application for the site, something that, at the time, they didn't think they could do.

Their scheme was more sensitive to the site and eventually gained the support of the planning authority. One thing led to another and now they find themselves building their vision in such a way that the site is developed without choking the light off from their home on Bermondsey St.

Maybe the same sort of thing could happen with Potter's Field. My 100 is still available.

Friday 17 February 2006 10.36am
Its really great to hear a story like that. And good that the planners supported it.
Friday 17 February 2006 11.17am
How wonderful is that. Isn't that what we would call constructive?
Thursday 23 March 2006 12.10pm
Niall, I agree that this a great success story: good building, ideal approach to dealing with your neighbours, etc etc, but sadly opposition has been more useful than proposition in this area. The planners wait for 'objections' and are usually faced with rather over developed over-sized schemes that need a bit of opposition. Not many developers in this area submit schemes that they expect to build, they start from a negotiating stance of an over- sized scheme, then wait for it to be trimmed back. They usually expect to get their revised scheme through, which is still usually large in the extreme for such an area. Bermondsey street and the surrounding area is littered with such schemes. So there is a place for opposition, if no-one bothered, I dread to think what this place would look like. It could be renamed Galliard Street..........If someone likes a scheme, then support it during the planning process, but sadly most of these letters of support are from 'mates' of the developer.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: