NCT in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 16 February 2006 2.45pm
Hello forum - I realise this post will only be relevant to a number of you, however as a new resident of Bankside and a soon-to-be Mum, I was wondering if anyone new of Mother/Baby groups in the area? The NCT website has an SE1 branch but all the events seem to be around Herne Hill or further afield... any suggestions gratefully received!
Thursday 16 February 2006 2.54pm
Your choice is probably either to go south to Dulwich, or east to Greenwich. If you lived at the Kennington end of SE1 you might think of going west to Clapham.

If you PM me I will pass your details onto Plum who is also expecting. At one stage SE1 mums formed their own tea/coffee group. I used to organise the Kennington one and it worked really well. People with small homes were able to organise picnics in a park etc.

Its great raising kids in the area, but you probably need to make a bit more effort. Like being quite unBritish and approaching other mums at clinics etc. But it now means that I know a lot of people and the sense of community is strong.

Health visitors are a good source of information. There is also a whole raft of children's provision around Coin Street and some activities in Waterloo centered around Living Space.
Thursday 16 February 2006 3.07pm
Hi Paola and welcome to the area

when i had my little fella my doctors organised mothers groups for a while one afternoon a week and we carried on meeting up at each others homes after this for quite a long time . As Sarah said your health visitor should be able to help you to find out what is on offer and do not be afraid to try and organise something yourself. In the summer it is easier as if you go to the local parks you will meet other mums with thier little ones and try checking out any clubs in the area such as 1 o clock clubs or tumble tots or groups like that - your local church may organise a mothers group as well.

Good luck
Thursday 16 February 2006 3.51pm
Hello Paola - I'm also a soon to be SE1 mum, due in April - and would love to hear from any other SE1-ers too in the same situation.

I'm actually starting an NCT class tonight - the Lambeth and Southwark branch one but we have to go to Vauxhall for that so not very local, but the nearest to us. I got in touch with them via the Southwark co-ordinator on the NCT website.

I've also been going to pregnancy yoga classes at St Thomas' hospital - again a tube to Westminster but really good classes organised by the sitaram group. - they do wed and thursday evening classes at Thomas'.

I think there are aquanatal classes towards Surrey Quays but haven't actually made it there.

Don't know of any mother and baby groups - would be interested to hear too! Sophie
Thursday 16 February 2006 6.24pm
You should all check out our local wonderful charity, Charterhouse-in-Southwark (yes I AM connected - a trustee, so no financial gain), who have a huge assortment of family activities, too many to list. Ring 7407-1123 and ask for Grace in the Family Centre, and if she can't speak to you, Jean on reception knows all that's going on. Most activities are based at 40 Tabard St, SE1.
Friday 17 February 2006 9.09am

do you need any toys? i am about to have a post xmas clear out of my son's room so we can get in there he has loads of toys he has outgrown or simply did not get enthused about and would like to send them to a good home.
if so please let me know who to contact -would it be Grace or Jean mentioned above???????and i will arrange to drop them off.
Friday 17 February 2006 10.34am
Thats a kind offer. I'm not sure myself, but there are 3 projects that might need toys: Family centre (Grace on 7407-1123), toy library, or charity shop - ring 7357-7733 for these, I'm not sure whether they have a direct number.
Monday 19 March 2007 5.20pm

I am also a Mum to be (due early May) and looking for Bumps and Babies groups in the area. Would be keen to know if you found anything.....

Monday 19 March 2007 6.58pm

I live near Bermondsey Street / Long Lane and I am due early June (first baby).

I am also interested in mum & baby groups and would be up for helping coordinate our own group as it seems there's four or five of us already... if there is interest?

I'll be off work until around Christmas time;)

Tuesday 20 March 2007 10.10am

I'm due in mid June (1st baby) and would be interested in joining a mum & baby group.

We live on Bermondsey Street.

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: