The River Thames

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Saturday 18 February 2006 12.54am
I was wondering,does anyone use the river thames often? I have been using the Thames Clippers service lately and must say its very good and always fast and on time.

Ive noticed over the years though the river has been getting very silent,especially around the canary whalf area.
Sunday 19 February 2006 8.26pm
I would use the riverboats more if they were a bit cheaper and they didn't just run commuter times and routes.

What do you mean by 'quiet'? I find the area round the Canary Wharf pier quite busy, what with the hotel ferry and all the other operators' craft.
Monday 27 February 2006 10.56pm
The riverboats by Thames clippers,who also run the Twin star service to and from canary whalf to the hilton pier,have a river bus service that operates peak hours and all out the day.

The river has got ALOT quieter over the years,since the docks closed etc but even since the early/mid 90s to now ive noticed its got a little dead.
Thursday 2 March 2006 8.43pm
Would have done but a few years ago Mr Livingstone sanctioned the stealing of our pier at Cherry Gardens and its re-location to Waterloo , we are still awaiting a replacement Ken !!!
Thursday 2 March 2006 9.43pm
I remember when cherry garden pier was brand new,used to go down there as a teenager,lot of memories from that pier. They named a thames pleasure boat after it too,not on the river anymore though
Friday 3 March 2006 3.56pm
When I worked in Fulham I occasionally took the ferry back here - from Chelsea Harbour to Blackfriars. It was a luxury, given that I already had a travelcard, but made a change from the tube. That particular boat is awful, but Thames Clippers have been considering extending their operation out to that pier - their boats are much better.

If you have time on your hands in the week and like mooching about on the river, I'd recommend the commuter run to Woolwich Arsenal. About 45 minutes for 3 or so if you have a travelcard. If you chance on the Hurricane Clipper, be prepapared for a great ride - it really shifts. A good one for petrolheads! The route is best done in the light obviously, but if you do happen to do it in the dark you get a chance to travel right underneath the Millennium Laser at Greenwich, which is quite impressive.

At the other end there's the historic military buildings of the original Arsenal (which gave it's name to the football club) to have a wander around. Slightly sanitised now after conversion, but still an interesting little find if you've not been down that end of the river.
Friday 3 March 2006 5.29pm
Thankfully the service to Woolwich Arsenal has recently been reprieved (it was on the verge of being withdrawn), but unfortunately no longer runs on Saturdays, which is a shame.

(Of course the main Thames Clippers Riverline Savoy to Masthouse Terrace & Greenwich service operates seven days.)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 3 March 2006 5.37pm
I second paulh on the Woolwich run - a great way to see the Thames. On the way back you can cross the river on the Woolwich ferry and come back on the new bit of the DLR, stopping off to look at the wonderfully 21st century Barrier Gardens en route.
Friday 3 March 2006 5.49pm
Yea the clipper service is great. The smaller vessels used to operate in the 90s for River/Bus .. not sure if any of you remember them? Well clippers bought those boats and had the moon,sun and the hurricane clipper built in aussie and sent over.

Both the moon and the hurricane really do shift,but the smaller boats such as the sky clipper are far more manovrable.

The site www.riverthames.co.nr has some pics and info you might like on the clipper boats
Friday 3 March 2006 6.24pm
The Unladylike Ms. Jo wrote:
I second paulh on the Woolwich run - a great way to see the Thames. On the way back you can cross the river on the Woolwich ferry and come back on the new bit of the DLR, stopping off to look at the wonderfully 21st century Barrier Gardens en route.

Yep - agood way to come back. The station for Barrier Park is Pontoon Dock.

From the platform you have grandstand view of Millennium Mills.

http://static.flickr.com/42/104615939_8b0d2853ba.jpg

In the park you get some great and unusual views of the Barrier, like this:

http://static.flickr.com/10/15126835_cf7d0888f0.jpg

You can also add another section to the trip by walking up to the Victoria Dock, and go across the footbridge to ExCeL. From there you can see the front of the Mills.

http://static.flickr.com/14/15126561_af0c3a14ba.jpg

Customs House DLR is on hand to continue back to town.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: