Soldiers in the Park

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 19 February 2006 1.05pm
My girlfriend was shocked and not a little disturbed to run into a load of soldiers as she was on her morning jog in Southwark park today (Sunday).

It was shortly before 09:00 (I was in bed!) when she met the group of about 20. They were all in line, marching with some sargeant (?) in a vest, bellowing "left, right". As it was near the gate in the road that runs through the park, she did not have any choice but to run past these soldiers (she thinks they are Territorials).

As I mentioned, she felt alarmed by this. Should they be in a public park? Are we at war? Haven't they got a parade ground? Shouldn't they have been in church?
Talk about wrecking a peaceful Sunday morning in the park with the birds for company.

Does Ken know about this?
Sunday 19 February 2006 9.39pm
Perhaps they were on their way to fight Napoleon?
Sunday 19 February 2006 10.04pm
In a VEST ???
Sunday 19 February 2006 11.37pm
Bruce Willis overcame many challenges in a vest.
Monday 20 February 2006 12.09pm
is she sure they weren't a group of boot camp trainees, who pay large amounts of money to get fit the british army way?
Monday 20 February 2006 12.26pm
Don't actually see why she should have been alarmed or shocked - when marching in column you are meant to look straight ahead, not at girls running past - "eyes front, no talking!"

Why shouldn't they be in a public park? And yes, we are at war, thanks to TB.
Monday 20 February 2006 1.11pm
Well yes, no civilised city likes to have soldiers on its streets. On the other hand... soldiers..... vests........... Yes perhaps they would be safer in the countryside after all.

Friday 3 March 2006 6.32pm
Were they in uniform?
Wednesday 8 March 2006 2.24pm
There is the opportunity to train with the British Army in London parks and this tends to be at the weekends. Why feel alarmed? They were jogging, she was jogging.....
Wednesday 8 March 2006 7.42pm
Can't they their macho stuff elsewhere? after all, the War department has enough of the british landscape.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: