Good Coffee in SE1

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Sunday 19 February 2006 8.00pm
I seemed to have stirred up a bit of anti-Starbucks sentiment with my comment regarding "good coffee at Starbucks " in a recent post. So - just what are some recommendations for places to get good coffee in SE1?
Sunday 19 February 2006 8.15pm
Monmouth Coffee in Stoney St is my choice any day.

I have visited Starbucks precisely twice, and on both occasions the coffee was so coffee-free I took it back thinking some error had been made. I have now given up and go elsewhere.
Sunday 19 February 2006 9.05pm
Monmouth is good. I've also had good coffee from Amano in Clink Street, and from the Tas Ev deli.
Sunday 19 February 2006 10.47pm
SoBo on Tower Bridge Road have excellent coffee.

There is also a very good place in Southwark Street, right next door to the hop exchange and I forgot the name. I drank an excellent cappuccino there.
Sunday 19 February 2006 11.12pm
The Unladylike Ms. Jo wrote:
I have visited Starbucks precisely twice, and on both occasions the coffee was so coffee-free I took it back thinking some error had been made. I have now given up and go elsewhere.

The first time I tried Starbucks several years ago I ordered a mocha but was given a mug of steamed milk. Well, that's what it seemed to be but it turns out I'd been given someone else's latte by mistake! I've given them other chances over the years to get it right on the offchance I've been unlucky, but it's always expensive, weak and bland. Their seasonal concoctions frequently sound tempting but always turn out to be sickly and are presumably to divert attention away from their coffee!

Something that IS nice in the summer is their range of ice-blended fruit tea drinks, but they too are severely overpriced.
Monday 20 February 2006 11.57am
Nero's on the cut is good.
Monday 20 February 2006 12.14pm
maurits wrote:
SoBo on Tower Bridge Road have excellent coffee.
There is also a very good place in Southwark Street, right next door to the hop exchange and I forgot the name. I drank an excellent cappuccino there.

Might you mean the Tea and Coffee museum (?called Bramah?) perhaps, Maurits? They have a cafe.

...if you press it, they will come.
Monday 20 February 2006 12.44pm
I would have to stay the coffee shop which is connected to Pont de la Tour (on the Shad Thames side rather than the riverfront)...I can't actually remember what it's called but it has a yellow frontage. It's only about 100 yards along from the Butlers Wharf Starbucks but it might as well be in a different world. Not only is the coffee in a totally different class (possibly because it contains some) it's also actually cheaper than Starbucks .

They also sell 1kg bags of the beans they use (at a fairly reasonable price) which are top quality Musetti beans which means you can also brew that authentic Italian espresso at home too.
Monday 20 February 2006 12.55pm
It's called Coffee Kiosk
Monday 20 February 2006 4.32pm
Sobo (already mentioned) is excellent and there is a little patio at the back of the shop if you want to sit outside! (in the summer it is lovely!!) It is also a little art gallery where the art works can be bought. The staff are really friendly and are passionate about getting the cappucino froth just right!

I have to say that Hubby and I went to Bramah and were really disappointed
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: