House by the Thames (49 Bankside)

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 20 February 2006 9.24am
The House by the Thames by Gillian Tindall

Some of you might remember a Radio 4 piece last year about this house, a sort of dramatised history over the centuries - there was a book review in the Independent yesterday of a book about the same house (I think), one of those in the pretty little terrace of 4-5 houses between the Tate Modern and the Globe, which always look like they survived due to some amazing oversight...

I presume James has a review copy already... the Independent review makes it sound like a fascinating read for the local social history enthusiast

(no connection of course, just one of those houses we agree we would be prepared to live in if we really had to)

[sorry if this should be in chatter...]

Monday 20 February 2006 10.11am

I wonder does Ms Tindall refer to the impact of the illegal obstruction of Cardinal Cap Alley, Skin Market Place and part of Bankside itself in front of No. 49?

Speaking personally, the efforts of local interests to close these Public Highways is contemptable and destroys another small part of what makes the river's edge so interesting and captivating. Although such considerations are forgotten when personal gain comes into consideration.

Niall Connolly
Monday 20 February 2006 11.11am
Skinmarket place has been obstructed by the Globe Theatre, so not personal gain but just as bad.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 4.19pm
This is an interesting article - I might even get the book!
Tuesday 7 March 2006 6.56pm
I was lucky enough to go to parties there in the seventies when it was owned by Guy Munthe, grandson of Axel Munthe. He used to ride around London on a Moto-Guzzi with a parrot on his shoulder. The house was candle-lit, with roaring log fires! Absolutely amazing!
Tuesday 7 March 2006 10.36pm
Time to get your bike back on the road mate!

(When the weather clears up.)
Wednesday 8 March 2006 7.18am
Anuone got a parrot for sale!
Wednesday 23 August 2006 8.26pm
A date for your diaries: Gillian Tindall is giving a lecture about 49 Bankside to the Southwark & Lambeth Archaeological Society on Tuesday 13 March 2007.

Details here:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 24 August 2006 12.57pm
Worth consideration for the SE1 book club, I reckon. I wonder how many copies the local libraries have in stock?
Tuesday 16 August 2016 12.10pm
Sorry to resurrect an ancient thread, but I'm reading this book at the moment and it's a fascinating history of the area. Anyone else read it? Would love to discuss.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: