Lie-ins on Sunday...

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 20 February 2006 12.23pm
there i was almost still in the land of nod at 6.50am sunday morning, then... flashing lights...reversing bleeps and yes yet again it was a council vehicle or two actually...stopping to get their tea or coffee from the cafe along the road...then to sit in the cab and drink it...after the throbbing of both vehicles made me realise that no way was I going to be able to have a very rare sleep in...got up phoned the council and spoke to a very nice young lad and asked him if he could contact manor place to ask the drivers to turn off the engines. He said that he would be unable to do that as there was no one there at that time...but that he would pursue the complaint.

at 7.15 I could not take the noise any longer and with coat over dressing gown went and told the occupants of the smaller vehicle to turn off his engine and go and tell the driver of the gully sucker / drain clearer to do the same. He was po faced to say the least, never a word passed his miserable lips, heaven help his workmates!
Before I had walked the twenty feet back to my door both vehicles disappeared.

I go to work for a living and have no wish to deprive a workman of a cup of tea, I know they earn a modest wage for an unpleasant job....Why can't Southwark put signs up in the street ordering people to turn off their engines? Global warming is every ones concern......lets hope it's Southwarks...five minutes later another large van parked up with his engine running, I was out there quicker than you could say ice caps melting...the look on these drivers faces when you ask very politely to turn off...this guy said oh well i'll just go somewhere else!..i need a digi camera....
Monday 20 February 2006 2.23pm
Take down there number plates and report them to Southwark, we had a dust cart in the square on Saturday at 6.30 emptying out bins, that's not on really.
Monday 20 February 2006 2.51pm
You're probably on a hiding to nothing - I've been banging on about Tour Coaches parked illegally on Tooley Street - with their engines running (it's a bit rich that Mr Livingstone recently announced moves to cut down on polluting vehicles in central London when he's not prepared to deal with those on his doorstep) for years ... sod all gets done and the buck gets passed.

I agree with you Jan that the men should have their break, but a little respect (Ooooh, I've come over all Mr Tony) is due.
Saturday 18 March 2006 1.55am
Used to happen to us years ago... delivery driver used to turn up at 6.00am on sundays, with a massssive stereo which he left playing with his door open whilst he delivered bread to the local restaurants.

He was abusive when challenged, so after weeks of it we ended up covering his van in crap - kitchen leftovers, eggs, that kind of thing - thrown from our first floor window. He got the message. :)

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: