Recycle bins Tooley Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
jas
Thursday 9 January 2003 3.03pm
Hi,

it's that time of the year (or month, week,...) again that Tooley St. is dug up, and consequently the recycle bins are gone.

Does anyone know whether and when they will be back, or where the nearest alternative recycle station is located?

I actually think it's horrendeous how poor and sparse the recycling services are in SE1...

Thanks for any info.
Thursday 9 January 2003 3.46pm
Can't answer your question, but on the subject of recycling etc., does anyone know where one can safely get rid of toxic stuff like used thinners/paint brush cleaner and the like?
Thursday 9 January 2003 6.01pm
I have tried very unsucessfully over the last few weeks to get any sense out of Southwark regarding recycling. When I called to ask what had happened to the recycling bins on Tooley Street, after getting an answering machine at the 'recycling department' and then being passed around and eventually speaking to someone at customer services, they had no idea that they weren't there. The nearest ones are apparently on Jamaica Road (George Row?) or Great Dover Street. When I pointed out that they were quite a long way away to struggle without a car, loaded down with bags full of bottles, I was told that I was lazy! I am afraid I ended up putting the phone down on them. Subsequent emails to 'Ask Austin' and the recyling unit only managed to tell me that the bottle banks would be reinstated once the roadworks are finished (sometime next year then...). Where I work in Fulham we leave all our paper in bags on the street and it is collected over the weekend. Why can't Southwark manage something on those lines?
Friday 10 January 2003 10.32am
Sarah

I agree. I was enraged when the recycle bins just disappeared apropos of nothing. I also was met with the same response as you when I called Southwark Council.

Why on earth couldn't they have just relocated the recycle point either across the road, or on the Butler's Wharf side of Tooley Street.

Gaaa! makes me so annoyed.
Friday 10 January 2003 10.57am
RE: Tooley St recycling bank
Unfortunately this bank has been removed until the road works are finished. We don't know at the moment how long the road works will go on for. You can locate other recycling banks in the SE1 /SE17 area at this address: http://www.southwark.gov.uk/future/rec_se117.htm
The bank that was at Abbey St has been moved to Jamaica St at the junction with George Row. Two banks have now been removed from sites at St Thomas St and Bradenham Close. The recycling maps on the Southwark website will be renewed with more information on Monday 13th January. We will include any information available about the Tooley St road works.

Further information about recycling is available on the Southwark Website (see the page address above). Alternatively, you can email the recycling unit at Southwark Council: recycling@southwark.gov.uk or call the Environmental Contact Centre on 020 7525 2000.
Friday 10 January 2003 11.08am
RE: Disposing of toxic substances

Toxic substances such as paint thinner, white spirit, engine oil, etc. can be disposed of at the reuse & recycle centre located at the back of Manor Place Depot, Occupation Rd, SE17 (off Walworth Rd).

More information is available on the Southwark website. The page address for the Recycling & Reuse Centre and the Refuse Tip is:
http://www.southwark.gov.uk/azlinks/servicedetail.cfm/1277
For telephone enquiries, please call 020 7252 7717 or contact the Council on this e-mail address: environment@southwark.gov.uk
Friday 10 January 2003 12.47pm
I spose they'll be coming back soon. When I contacted southwark council's austin, here was the response though...

"
Thanbk you for your query.

It is Transport for London that is responsible for the removal of these
recycling facilities, so you will need to get in contact with them about
this matter. You can contact them through their website
http://www.londontransport.co.uk/tfl/

If you have any further queries about any other aspect of Southwark Council
please do not hesitate to contact me.

Yours sincerely

Austin Jones
New Media Officer
Southwark Communications Unit

"

Anyone else make sense of that - I'm stumped!?
Friday 10 January 2003 12.50pm
What that means is that whilst the recycling facilities belong to Southwark, Tooley Street (being a main road) is maintained by TfL, who have removed the facilities for the duration of the works, so if you want to know when they'll be back, TfL are the people to contact

James

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Friday 10 January 2003 12.56pm
Have spoken to TFL and they're gonna find out where they've gone and when they'll be back, and get back to me when they know...
Friday 10 January 2003 5.18pm
Haven't heard back yet...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: