Crazy road repairs

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 23 February 2006 2.18pm
Enjoyed a lovely S&KP at the Oak last night, and was on the way home when Mrs I pointed out that the roadway on the North end of Globe St (little cut-through street going from Gt Dover St to Trinity St) has recently been beautifully resurfaced.

It's lovely shiny new black tarmac, and it's a really nice looking job. A credit to the skilled workmen who must have spent some time doing it.

Rather odd though, when you consider that the North end of Globe St has been closed to traffic for what must be at least a year now.

We were still laughing at the ridiculousness of resurfacing a road that was closed, when we walked out onto Trinity St (closed to through traffic for the same length of time as Globe St) and realised that they'd resurfaced that as well!

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 23 February 2006 10.01pm
Everywhere seems to be going mad on resurfacing and roadworks at the moment. Victoria Street is being done at the moment and though more worthy of the job I'm sure, didn't seem in bad condition. I'm very glad Newington Causeway has been done as some of that was a bit of a jarring ride. Is it the time of year when highways departments get their budget to spend?

Wish Camden would do some of their roads - Kingsway is atrocious!
Friday 24 February 2006 5.40am
Ah children, dont you know that we are coming to the end of the financial year, and Councils are anxious to spend any spare money so there is always a flurry of road surfacing, pavement renewal, etc., at this time of year.
ADT
Friday 24 February 2006 9.26am
I've been assuming that the end of Trinity Street by the Roebuck is going to be re-opened at some point - the blockage there is of the removable sort, and although the council have been known to do odd things, I'm (almost) certain that they wouldn't be so odd as to leave the pedestrian crossing in if they weren't planning on having that bit open to traffic again.

A.
Friday 24 February 2006 9.40am
I don't think they're actually resurfacing Trinity Street, just parking all their large vehicles and putting big piles of gravel etc there. Although they are due to put speed bumps in.

As per the Trinity Street - GDS bloackage, the TNRA website usually has the latest news:
http://www.tnra.net/traffic15.htm
Jac
Friday 24 February 2006 10.49am
[quote ysub]I don't think they're actually resurfacing Trinity Street, just parking all their large vehicles and putting big piles of gravel etc there. Although they are due to put speed bumps in.

Surely not it's closed to through traffic. How much more money can they spend on this road?
Friday 24 February 2006 10.51am
ysub wrote:
I don't think they're actually resurfacing Trinity Street, just parking all their large vehicles and putting big piles of gravel etc there. Although they are due to put speed bumps in.

They've definitely resurfaced the bit near the Roebuck. It's as new as new can be (or else they're making the beer a lot stronger at The Oak)

Friday 24 February 2006 11.52am
Trinity Street has indeed been resurfaced up to the barriers mid-way down the road.

The idea is that an area encompassing Trinity Street, Falmouth Road and part of Harper Road (and some other surrounding roads like Globe Street) will have a 20mph limit soon with speed humps (thankfully the ones that go across the whole road, not those nasty speed cushions that don't slow motorbikes). I guess they needed to resurface for the speed humps (it certainly makes it much nicer to cycle down).

As far as I know, the junction of Trinity Street and Great Dover Street will be opened up, but only at weekends. I'm not sure how they are going to enforce this, but it should still prevent Trinity Street being used as a rat run during the working week.
Friday 24 February 2006 12.08pm
eustacem wrote:
The idea is that an area encompassing Trinity Street, [...] will have a 20mph limit soon with speed humps (thankfully the ones that go across the whole road, not those nasty speed cushions that don't slow motorbikes). I guess they needed to resurface for the speed humps (it certainly makes it much nicer to cycle down)

So, not content with having the lovely new tarmac on Trinity St PRACTICALLY to yourself (as a cyclist), you want to make sure it's nice and inconvenient for those nasty motorcyclists as well.

1) I've never seen or heard a motorbike causing any problems down Trinity St/Falmouth Rd. What causes you to think otherwise?

2) As a general principle, m'bikes neither need nor want to be anywhere near cyclists (or other traffic). I fail to see how they are an inconvenience to you at all, but would be interested to learn.

Anonymous User
Friday 24 February 2006 12.38pm
Those 'nasty' speed cushions can be driven over at speed by most vehicles (most importantly the emergency services). Motorcyclists are usually (not always of course) the best road users as they have superior training, particularly in defensive driving (invaluable in central London) to the car driver.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: