Recycling plastic: now not just bottles

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 23 February 2006 2.52pm
Until now, Southwark's recycling scheme has only accepted plastic bottles, no other plastic. But as of this week, they now accept most plastic including tubs, yogurt pots, margarine tubs and plastic food trays. The administrator of the recycling Form on the council's website says that "The codes for these are varied but generally speaking they are plastic types - 1-5 and these can usually be found on the underside of the product in a triangular recycle symbol."

It seems to be a very soft launch: I only know this from a throwaway remark on the council's Recycling Forum, so it seems to be a very soft launch.

Good news though.

Anonymous User
Thursday 23 February 2006 3.03pm
For the first time ever I've been given a recycling bag by Southwark. Living in flats they don't give us the boxes I've seen outside houses.

I've yet to see if the "leave it outside to get a new bag" system is going to work as the bag isn't full yet.
Thursday 23 February 2006 3.08pm
Our recent story on the extension of recycling collections to many estates in Southwark may be pertinent:

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Thursday 23 February 2006 4.17pm
An article in the Times last Saturday claimed that half of all the plastic bottles given over for recycling in the UK are transported to .... China.

Not only does the transportation create carbon emissions but a large proportion of the plastic sent is then incinerated or disposed of in landfill.

This suprised me so I thought I'd share it with the forum. Hope it inspires others to join in the journey to the lost valley of 're-using'.
Thursday 23 February 2006 4.18pm
why else do you think we make cider, if it isn't to reuse all those bottles?

It's nothing to do with liking to get drunk, you know!

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Friday 24 February 2006 4.51pm
Seems that they just pop a new bag through your door on a Thursday!

Friday 24 February 2006 5.51pm
i ordered a bag about 3 weeks ago and still have not had it!!
Friday 24 February 2006 6.18pm
Hot puppy, is this the article from the Times you read?,,2-2045700,00.html

It doesn't say that China is dumping our bottles, it says that they are 'processed'.
Friday 24 February 2006 10.21pm
I wonder how many of those bags go straight into the bin?
Saturday 25 February 2006 1.42am
we started collecting and recylcling our plastic water cups in the office, because i kicked up a fuss about paying more for recyled plastic cups, and then just throwing them away. after a few months this has been stopped as the company which picks them up told us that they get incinerated, just like all the other rubbish anyway! outrageous!

if someone is recycling plastic shouldn't that mean that it gets melted down, and remade into something else?
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: