Mayor's Disgrace

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 24 February 2006 6.15pm
How do we feel about Ken getting his come-uppance?
Personally I think he's a self glorifying twat who forgot himself for a few minutes whist partying at our expense. He is all of London's representative, whenever he is on or off duty. He was outside his London Assembly building when legitimately, and politely questioned by a member of the press. Perhaps he was drunk? I couldn't say? If I forget to pay his congestion charge I don't expect he'll let me off. So I'm not in a forgiving mood. Now if he'd only said sorry straight away maybe I'd feel different, no, hang on, wouldn't work on my congestion charge either, so tough, Ken take your medicine like a man!
Friday 24 February 2006 6.23pm
Agree.

He could easily have made any criticisms he wanted to make in an incisive or witty manner, without being gratuitously offensive. We all like someone who doesn't feel he necessarily has to toe every line, but you can be independent and critical without being offensive.
Friday 24 February 2006 6.32pm
T U Ms Jo, you made your point far more eloquently than me. I do think his remarks and his failure to apologise mean he should be voted out by us at the earliest convenience.
Friday 24 February 2006 7.13pm
Jerry wrote:
How do we feel about Ken getting his come-uppance?
Personally I think he's a self glorifying twat who forgot himself for a few minutes whist partying at our expense. He is all of London's representative, whenever he is on or off duty. He was outside his London Assembly building when legitimately, and politely questioned by a member of the press. Perhaps he was drunk? I couldn't say? If I forget to pay his congestion charge I don't expect he'll let me off. So I'm not in a forgiving mood. Now if he'd only said sorry straight away maybe I'd feel different, no, hang on, wouldn't work on my congestion charge either, so tough, Ken take your medicine like a man!

Do you know for sure that he was partying at our expense? Maybe it was paid for by someone else?

If you forget to pay your congestion charge then you are breaking the law; if a politician is rude to a journalist he isn't. And why should he say be forced to sorry if he doesn't mean it - isn't it preferable for politicians to retain integrity?

He didn't break the law but has been suspended from a democratically elected post by an unelected panel, depriving the electorate of London of a leader for 4 weeks. Now that's outrageous.
Friday 24 February 2006 7.27pm
Yes Ken was at attending a "jolly" at the Assembly building. Whoever paid you can be assured it was not Ken.

Ken has signed a contract when he became Mayor, it stated in his contract that there was an unelected disciplinary committee with powers to do what has been done. He was free not to sign this, so to claim now that this is un-democratic is typically pathetic. He may not have broken the law, but according to his contract of employment he has committed a disciplinary offence.

You correctly note that by "forgetting" to pay the congestion charge I get slammed with the full might of the legal establishment. I do pay 99% of the charges on time, but when one slips by me I pay the fine and don't get rude with the official fining me. Ken was rude and potentially racist.
Friday 24 February 2006 7.43pm
I'm behind Ken.

When I heard it, I immediately connected what he said with the phrase "only following orders". I'd grown up familiar with that phrase (from the Nuremburg trials, I thought, though may be mistaken and the point is the same anyway) and thought that it fitted in with the argument he was trying to make (My summary: KEN: "I'm coming out of a private party. This is nothing of public interest. You, and your newspaper group make a point of bothering me at times like this and I don't think it's acceptable. Do you?" REPORTER: "I'm just doing my job" KEN: [makes prison guard comment, meaning, to me at least] ""Only following orders" is no moral argument.").

Obviously a lot of people disagree.

...if you press it, they will come.
Friday 24 February 2006 7.56pm
I'm still concerned that you regard the party he attended as "private". It actually was the 20-year anniversary of former Culture Secretary Chris Smith's coming out as the first homosexual MP party held in the London Assembly building. Who paid for it to be held in a building financed by us I have no idea. If it wasn't the ratepayer or the taxpayer but Ken or Mr Smith himself I will apologise immediately. I don't think I would regard his comments as less offensive if he had been coming out of a party at No 33 Acacia Avenue but I would question why a reporter was there. I don't worry about the free press questionning an elected official outside his place of work in a polite manner. Perhaps there could be reasons we should ban the press from questionning our elected politicians, I just can't think of one.
Friday 24 February 2006 8.22pm
Tony Blair has said and done things considerably more contentious than some 'tired and emotional' quip from Ken. I'm no fan of Ken and equally no admirer of the Evening Standard.
Friday 24 February 2006 10.27pm
Ivanhoe, you've missed out a few salient features of the intechange between Ken and the journalist (forgive me if I dont have it word-for-word correct):
Ken: Are you a concentration camp guard?
Journalist: I find that quite offensive
Ken: actually you are just like a concentration camp guard

Whatever the issues about the privacy of the party, the presence of the journalist, or the Evening Standard, there are plenty of powerful and incisive ways Ken could have made whatever point he wished to make about these issues. But instead he blew it by persisting in being offensive, then refusing to apologise for months. No sympathy I'm afraid.

I agree its pointless people apologising when they dont mean it. I just wish Ken had come to the conclusion that he did mean it, realising that he'd been an idiot for a few moments. Now instead he's shown himself to have been an idiot for much longer, all the time he's stubbornly refused to see sense.

I have a certain respect for people who have their own minds and refuse to go along with dogma or herds or expectations. But I only respect the ones who manage to do this with civility and dignity and humility.
Friday 24 February 2006 10.56pm
What Livingstone has said was in my view unacceptable: it was insulting and offensive and very undignified for somebody in that position. Leadership implies that you know how to behave, especially when it concerns dealing with the press. I do not think that his remarks were anti semitic nor do I think that he is anti semitic.

However, his suspension from office is ridiculous and paradoxically, this 'panel' has punished London rather than Livingstone himself: we are now deprived of the person we have hired to do the job. The essence of democracy is hiring and firing the leadership and this should be left to us.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: