Looks like the Lib Dems have voted to put their future on hold

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Thursday 2 March 2006 3.29pm
Looks like the lib dems have voted to put there future on hold.

Simon Hughes will probably get another chance.

Edited 7 times. Last edit at 2 March 2006 3.42pm by mickysalt.
Thursday 2 March 2006 5.26pm
I think Simon Hughes has blown any chance of leading the party.
Next stop Brussels for a well paid cushy job with the rest of the out-of-date political sprouts.
Thursday 2 March 2006 5.32pm
I agree with Phoney. Simon's now lost the Lib Dem leadership twice as well as the Mayoral election. He's once, twice, three times a loser.
AND he had a big swing against him in the General Election (must have taken some doing for a Lib Dem at the last election!)
Thursday 2 March 2006 5.41pm
You know what they say.
third time lucky.
Thursday 2 March 2006 5.46pm
But he's lost three things already! Time to find something else to do, I think!

Didn't he once say he'd like to be a racing driver or something? That probably wasn't serious, but he's obviously a bit fed up with being a local MP or he wouldn't stand for so many other things. I think he should have a go at doing something else. Nothing wrong with that.
Thursday 2 March 2006 6.31pm
I appreciate Simon Hughes as our MP and he has contributed a lot to Southwark. But, somebody with an aspiration to lead the LibDem party in this country cannot blunder the way he did in his coming out as a gay man. He has done no favour to the gay community and has for me no credibility in defending the gay cause.

Yet again, an MP has shown that he considers a gay lifestyle as something to be ashamed about, something to hide. This image does a disservice to gay people who live normal lives that include partners of the same sex.

It is time MPs understood that on this issue the public expects honesty from our leaders. We certainly do not expect, of all parties, a Liberal Democrat to have such an antiquated and damaging attitude to gays.
Thursday 2 March 2006 7.02pm
I think it's a bad day for the Lib Dems. I saw Simon turn on the Christmas tree lights at Blackfriars Settlement and he carried out the task very efficiently.
Friday 3 March 2006 1.45am
The point being that Simon Hughes was the only candidate not intending to imitate Tony Blair .
Friday 3 March 2006 2.17am
Sue S wrote:
I agree with Phoney. Simon's now lost the Lib Dem leadership twice as well as the Mayoral election. He's once, twice, three times a loser.
AND he had a big swing against him in the General Election (must have taken some doing for a Lib Dem at the last election!)

I've heard stories that the swing was down to some very specific campaign techniques by the opposition... that could be rubbish though.

Overall I think it's a shame. Going by his local reputation, I thought Hughes really was the right man for the job. Ming is just far out of line with the face of politics these days. It's heading towards a younger and less stuffy appearance - which I think is for the better. More inclusive perhaps. And then the lib dems appoint ming - the safe but dull bet. Hughes would have been quite a signal. A more radical stance. Maybe they didn't like his left wing view?
Friday 3 March 2006 8.29am
Yes I agree,it's a pity...a very fuddy duddy choice (and Ming is younger than I am!). Simon is a great chap and could have given the Lib Dems a bit of pazazz, although he is fairly quiet and plodding. But he's a super MP and I'm sorry they passed him over.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: