New Kent Rd Post Office closes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 4 March 2006 11.33am
Not sure exactly when it happened, but the small sub Post Office on New Kent Rd has closed down. The shop itself is still open and sells stamps, but the space is about to be converted into a Costcutter. It was a very grotty shop and Post Office, but handy for me.
Sunday 5 March 2006 5.16pm
I am disappointed to hear that, it was handy for me also and it is hardly as though we need another small supermarket along that stretch of road. Thank you for saving me what would have been a wasted trip down to it.
Monday 6 March 2006 4.09am
I wont miss that "post office" to be honest. Their hours were poor (postal services seem to close at 1pm on many times I tried to use it). Worse still the service was really poor IMO - several times I waited for 5+ minutes while the person behind the counter chatted with a friend about nothing.

If it is a CostCutter, there is a decent likelihood that it will contain a post office - Costcutter's strategy seems to inlcude having post office counters in some location to drive traffic. When I lived in Hammersmith the Costcutter on North End Road for example had a post office counter.

To be honest, I'd much rather that govt cut out this face of "privatizing" postal services. They need to face up to their responsibility and provide an adequate network of porperly staffed and serviced post offices. This idea that a dingy countes in delis can replace a proper post office network is simply laughable.
Monday 6 March 2006 1.37pm
Where will all the elderly folk go to? were they given any warning about closure?

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: