New cinema on Borough High Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Monday 6 March 2006 1.50pm
apologies if this has already been discussed, but does anyone know anything about the new cinema/bar that appears to be opening in borough high street? its just near the sainsburys and new costa coffee.

the planning application says its going to be called the "tower cinema and bar"....anyone heard some gossip on what this will be?
Monday 6 March 2006 4.33pm
Not heard of it but would like a local cinema (though preferably a cheaper-than-west-end version).

Wasn't the Tower Cinema in Peckham though?
Monday 6 March 2006 11.58pm
Sounds great... are you sure. I google-ed this with no luck however (though google doesn't know everything!)
Tuesday 7 March 2006 8.06am
is it Cinema or a bar.
Q
Tuesday 7 March 2006 8.35am
I haven't been down Borough High Street for a while but I used to work in the building above and to the right of Costa and I can't see where the cinema could go in this area. There's a new office/residential block that contains the Sainsbury's and the buildings around Costa are all (or were) functioning office buildings.

Where is this cinema supposed to be going?
Tuesday 7 March 2006 8.40am
I live round the corner, will go and have a look and post again in an hour.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 9.51am
Sorry folks I didn't get a chance to check this out after all. Maybe someone else can?
Tuesday 7 March 2006 9.55am
I had a quick look through the recent planning applications for Borough High Street but couldn't spot anything. Perhaps someone could do a more exhaustive trawl?

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 10.17am
maybe a video rental instead?
will have a closer look next time i am at sainsbury's.
Tuesday 7 March 2006 10.43am
Not sure on Borough high street, but there's plannning application in for a cinema etc on Elephant road (yes it's not SE1, but hey only a few meters away).

Map
http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?q=SE17+1LA&ll=51.493956,-0.09818&spn=0.003099,0.010729

It'll replace the Volvo dealership and industrial estate on the site at the moment, which is good news and a much better use of the site, details below from the council website planning register.

It'll also be opposite where the famous Trocodero Cinema used to be in the 30s, which was replaced in the 60s with the Erno Goldfinger wonder Cinema, that was described as 'designed by the same Architect as Hitler's bunker' by the developers and very sadly demolished in the 80s. This historic site is now to be the infamous 'Vantage' development by St George which the residents of Metro Central object to.

I've emailed the council planning office in support of the Elephant road application in principal although I didn't get down to Chiltern house to see the plans, anything is better than a car dealership...
- Roll on the council getting plans up online, then we could all keep a track of exactly what's going on around us without having to take time off work! - may be one for someone's manifesto in May.

Kit Reynolds
MCH

Application Type: Full Planning Permission

Location: CASTLE INDUSTRIAL ESTATE, ELEPHANT ROAD, LONDON, SE17 1LA
Planning Case File Number: TP/1096-C
Proposal: Demolition of existing commercial units and construction of a new mixed use development comprising of three buildings above a two to three storey podium structure: Northern building located on New Kent Road to consist of 15 storeys (66.7m) to use as hotel (Use Class C1); western building along Elephant Road to consist of 21 storeys (80m) to house a office use (Use Class B1) with private and affordable residential units (Use Class C3) on the upper floors; southern building comprising of 12 storeys (53.8m) with private residential units (Use Class C3) and with cinema, retail and restaurant uses (Use Classes D2/A1/A3) at podium level and basement car parking with associated storage facilities together with new landscaping to form part of a proposed market square.
Ward: East Walworth
Community Council: Walworth
Environmental Impact Assessment Status: Not required but information submitted

Date Received: 15/08/2005
Date Started: 17/01/2006
Consultation Start Date: 15/08/2005
Consultation End Date: 18/02/2006
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: