Bar recommendation

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 19 January 2003 7.24pm
Can anybody recommend a pleasant bar within walking distance to County Hall (staying there soon) which would be suitable for my sister & I to take my 16 year old neice for a drink, early evening.Last summer we went to the Savoy and were charged 22 for three martinis !!!! - Any recommendations on an improvement on this in a trendier enviroment would be great !! - Thank-you in anticipation of replies - Barbara.

Barbara Kerr
Jai
Monday 20 January 2003 11.52am
Barbara,

it is always going to be difficult to find somewhere like the savoy that doesn't charge 22.- for three martinis. but then I assume you're looking for something else then the "All bar one" that is nestled just round the corner from you.

For upmarket bars, the Oxo Tower (a pleasant walk along the river) isn't too bad. Else I'm affraid that you'll have to head north of the River and go into Convent Garden.

I'm always appreciative of people that feed their underaged offspring strong alcoholic beverages. You can't start them young enough....

Varkenslachter
Monday 20 January 2003 2.53pm
I'd recommend Baltic on Blackfriar's Road - if you're prepared to walk to Oxo Tower or Covent Garden then its not much further. I think the drinks are well-made there and its a convivial atmosphere and nicely decorated. Just at the junction of the Cut and Blackfriars Rd - 5 mins in a taxi from County Hall.

J R Hartley
MM
Monday 20 January 2003 3.28pm
I would guess that the average 16 year old would quite like Bar Med, which is literally just around the corner from your hotel. Yes its a chain and it isn't my bag, but whenever I go past that Bar Med and others like it, it seems to be full of 16 year olds!
Monday 20 January 2003 4.59pm
a sixteen year old drinking martinis? whats wrong with snakebite then? oh it's a girl you say, then it's cider and black, ah the old days...............

Barbara you could try -

the Firestation - oh hold on they allegedly have dirty glasses
Bermondsey kitchen - too much smoke (from fags and chops)
Mint - oops it's gone.
The Scotia - don't take credit cards.
Come along to the club night we organise - doh!

Seems like for all of us on here we rarely have anything good to say about places.

I would also recommend the bar at the top of the oxo tower, Cubana can be fun and Baltic is really good but not sure sure about the vibe for 16 year olds, main reason being is that every time I've been there my memory is a little fuzzy next day.

James - just an idea, how about adding a section to the site where people can recommend places, not sure how you can police it, I'm not convinced that a couple of the good posts about the Bermondsey Kitchen weren't written by people involved - the good thing is that they've seemed to have taken note and the place has improved a lot since the first couple of weeks and good luck to them).

Show a man how to make fire and he will be warm for hours, set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.
Monday 20 January 2003 5.06pm
Biscuit boy - our new Restaurant/Pubs guide is still a work in progress, but if you check it out now you will find you can already add reviews of any of the 250 odd venues in the database - as about 20 people already have done

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/restaurants/

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 20 January 2003 6.43pm
Hello again Barbara,

Try the new bar/brasserie/restaurant called the River Walk.Newly opened in the OXO tower on the 2nd floor.Entrance on the river front up the steps. The food in the restaurant and the Brasserie is amazing for quality/price.Very pleasant and attentive staff and comfortable bar area. One draw back-they still haven't managed to sort out the heating problem which bedevilled the previous restaurant there-BUT I would go back despite that (but wearing thermal undies!) just for the food!

Try the bar in the People's Palace restaurant in the Royal Festival Hall.Amazing views and great bar staff.Foods good there too!

National Theatre has a late night bar every Friday on the top floor with dj's changing every week.She'll love you for taking her there!Good crowd and some people dance a little.Nice mix of age groups so don't worry you won't stick out in the crowd!Join in!

Hope this helps.

Christianna

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network