Brilliant local historical website

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 10 March 2006 7.18pm
I am sure that many of you who are interested in the history of the area already know about this site but if not it is great for a look and some of you might even be able to contribute pics to it. It is a University of Greenwich project about the development of suburbs and includes areas such as Greenwich, Walworth, Lambeth North, Borough and lots more. It can be found at (I found it accidently when looking for info about the Ideal Homes exhibition!) Lots of interesting photos and information.
Friday 10 March 2006 7.51pm
I've always rather liked their engraving of the Leather Market as built:
Friday 10 March 2006 9.01pm
Has anybody ever come across any old pictures of Long Lane? I have yet to find any (not that i've looked that hard)
Friday 10 March 2006 9.06pm
Can I assume you've tried the local history library, Jac?
Friday 10 March 2006 9.09pm
Try a search for "Long Lane" (with the double quotes) here:

Some of the images returned are the wrong Long Lane (in the City), but there are some Bermondsey pictures there too.

(Thanks to Lang Rabbie for posting that link in the recent Nelson Square photos thread.)

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 12 March 2006 12.44pm
Thanks for link what i'd really like to find is a picture of my house when it was a shop 1850.
Monday 13 March 2006 12.44am
Considering that photography was only invented a few years before that, You'll be lucky!
Monday 13 March 2006 11.39am
Actually I didn't write my post very clearly 1850 was when it was built but I think it was a shop until at least 1970 and I would be interested in seeing at any time pre house.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: