Great Dover Street (North) Development

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Wednesday 22 January 2003 12.48pm
Anyone know what's going up on the large building site at the north end of Great Dover Street (bounded by Globe Street, Cole Street and Swan Street)? It's where there used to be some derelict concrete office blocks that were an anti-capitalist style squat for quite a while.

As a very near neighbour I wonder why I haven't received notice of the planning application as I did for the Tabard Square development or indeed an extension to the roof of the office building opposite the site?
Wednesday 22 January 2003 7.42pm
MB
Thursday 23 January 2003 2.31pm
Actually, I think this is the answer:

http://www.bellway.co.uk/se/TheGlobe/entrypage.htm

Thursday 23 January 2003 4.11pm
Thanks for that. Had a look at the site. Suitabley grim and institutional. The Globe eh? That should confuse the punters into thinking the development is a lot closer to The Globe Theatre and therefore the river rather than on an extension of the Old Kent Road. Loved some of the marketing blurb too:

...centre of vibrant Southwark (so keep your mobile turned off and out of sight)

Its location will also appeal to the international businessman or businesswoman (who like to share a pint with Antipodean travellers in dubious late bars).

It is claimed that Southwark can offer a gastronomic tour of the world with restaurants, pubs and bars providing food for all tastes and nationalities (by way of example, there's a Chinese, Pizza and Indian on Tabard Street, and the Indian lets you bring your own booze - great!).

Don't get me wrong. I love where I live. Just makes me smile when it's described like Kensingditch Covent Hill-Kenwell South. ;-)
Wednesday 29 January 2003 11.44am
Ah but look at the prices. Get in now while you still can :)
Wednesday 29 January 2003 1.28pm
250K for a minute studio apartment - what a bargain - what about the affordable housing, or do Bellway Homes have some kind of exemption from providing any, ie massive payouts to Southwark?
Wednesday 29 January 2003 1.37pm
try finding somewhere to live for that price in any other area that is 10 mins from the City and 15 mins from the West End
Wednesday 29 January 2003 4.08pm
Funny you should say that as I've actually been browsing for properties in the City itself, just out of interest, and found about 10 pretty nice one-bed places for less than 250k - and these places were right in the heart of the city: Barbican, Finsbury, Holborn.

SE1 suddenly doesn't seem as cheap as it used to.
Wednesday 29 January 2003 4.12pm
If you are geniunely interested then we have a 1 bed flat in Aldgate (10 mins walk to Bank) for 200k! A bargain!

(now waiting for an email from Paul @ Stirling Ackroyd ... heh heh)
Tam
Wednesday 29 January 2003 5.22pm
Hi Miss Jo Jo

Just to let you know that I've just put my 2 bed maisonette on the market for considerably less than 250k. It's 8 mins walk from Borough or London Bridge and is pretty darn lovely even if I do say so myself. It looks over the Jam Factory. Give me a call on 07970 016189 if you fancy a butchers!

Tam
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: