Wedding Reception

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 13 March 2006 6.34pm

I'm getting married in May (time is running out!) and am looking for a venue in the area for the wedding reception, either a bar or restaurant probably. Needs to be pretty decent size (60+) and preferably do good food. We'll need the place on a Friday from mid-afternoon.

Anyone got a recommendation or suggestion?

Monday 13 March 2006 7.30pm
Try Shakespeare's Globe. I think you can hire the restaurant, or a smaller function room, for wedding receptions.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 13 March 2006 7.31pm by gaffer.
Monday 13 March 2006 9.06pm
Does the Delfina on Bermondsey Street cater for weddings? I know that they do private functions.
Monday 13 March 2006 11.35pm
the delfina cater for anyevent and are even licensed for marriages on site. the chocolate factory have done a few weddings, you can use the restaurant or the gallery if the space is free. all of these spaces are quite unique and offer a pretty stylised backdrop for a party.
Tuesday 14 March 2006 9.29am
Thanks guys for the suggestions. Unfortunately Delfina are booked for the date I need and when I spoke to the Chocolate Factory they said they can't use the gallery space anymore so are restricted to the restaurant which is just a bit too small. I will check out the Globe though.
Tuesday 14 March 2006 9.36am
Not quite restaurants or bars, but I have two recommendations:

We have used the Elizabethan, which is the smaller of the two fake paddle steamers that moors at Butlers Wharf. Their food was good and if you've got lots of out of London guests (as we did) then its quite an experience cruising along the Thames, glass in hand, seeing the sights. There are several piers in the area for boarding/disembarking.

Alternatively (and also a bit different), Trinity House (on Trinity Square behind the Tower) is gorgeous inside. You'd need to employ caterers separately, which might be a bit of a stress to do before May, but they have a functions manager who'd be able to liaise with the caterers on the day, and he's excellent.
Tuesday 14 March 2006 9.49am
What about the Museum of Garden History?
Tuesday 14 March 2006 10.07am
Garrison on Bermondsey St has a private room for about 100 people.
.Also, what about some of the restaurants on Shad Thames if it's a nice day it would be lovely down there- Butlers Wharf Chop House, Pont de La Tour etc.
Not in SE1, Mr Sarahmc and I went to The Lightship at St Katharine's Dock on Saturday night and thought it was wonderful- converted ship , stunning inside, beautiful food and ambience and incredibly romantic.
One more hint-as someone who is also planning for a wedding in August if you say it is for a wedding they will automatically hike the price up by about 100%!.
Tuesday 14 March 2006 11.15am
Not sure I'd recommend the Lightship - went to a party there and it had a real problem - it kept tipping up rather alarmingly! It's caused by people tending to congregate in the same area - it's fine when everyone is spread out evenly but at a party everyone may want to crowd into the same bit (eg for the speeches) and that unbalances it. So then the management have to do crowd control and it rather ruins the atmosphere.
Tuesday 14 March 2006 1.15pm
We got married at the Jerwood Space and they did a fantastic reception meal. Highly recommended!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: