Charles Dickens Primary School

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 14 March 2006 4.02pm
why do i feel uneasy over charles dickens new library and their methods of enabling students to take out library books? despite the head teachers assurances that nowt will be kept on the data I just old fashioned? well I am really! bar codes...thumb prints....Charles Dickens or Belmarsh!
Tuesday 14 March 2006 4.21pm
I'm with you on that what is wrong with the old fashioned library card? the kids go to the school so they know where to find them if their book is late back-probably will surround their class room with armed policemen in riot gear!!

Having said that by the time most of them leave school they will be used to ID cards, fingerprint credit cards and cameras following their every move.
Tuesday 14 March 2006 5.10pm
The problem of security and who has access to the fingerprint information is one problem, another is the fact that this softens kids up to things like ID cards when they get older. The government clearly wants a National Database with all our fingerprint and DNA information, but knows that this is a difficult thing to pass through Parliament, so they do it via the back door, bring the kids on side, get fingerprint and DNA from anyone who is arrested, regardless of whether they are charged or found guilty of any crime, renewal passport applications etc. Whether the government manages to force through the ID card legislation or not, they will get their national database regardless.

As an add on, I would like to add that my daughter's school, Charles Dickens, has agreed to allow parents to refuse the (illegal) fingerprinting of their children, and my older daughter, who goes to Pimlico, has been allowed to opt out of the system they have had there for the past 4 years, after I threatened to sue them for taking my daughters prints without my permission.

Amanda Penfold
(Green Party candidate for Chaucer Ward)
Wednesday 15 March 2006 12.10pm
Good for you Amanda....I had not realised that system had been in use for so long in any school...and as DeeDee said what is wrong with library cards, especially if the school lets the children act as librarians.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 15 March 2006 12.14pm
I used to work in an office with a finger print entry system. It was rubbish - it regulalrly decided that it didn't recognise any finger prints and locked us all out.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: