Seven storey hotel on Bermondsey Street

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11
Wednesday 15 March 2006 9.49am
Planning application 05-AP-1837

"The proposal is for a new build development of hotel with 136 bedrooms/units, health and fitness centre and commercial unit (B1 or A3) and demolition of the existing generator building at rear of site and replace with a basement plus seven storey building."

I first heard about this proposal a week ago from a neighbour. My understanding was that a notice should either be sent to me (as a nearby property) or displayed on site. Neither procedure seems to have been followed for this application. There are however notices for other planning applications posted outside our block.

Even though the consultation period ended last December, a decision has not been made, so I guess objections may still be raised.

I've objected to significant loss of light and loss of privacy. I've also objected to the change in use (everything else on Bermondsey Street is either residential, light industrial or small scale commercial). Does the street really need a hotel given the hotel on TBR, the soon to be completed Hilton and the planned hotels at Bermondsey Square and the Shard. My final objection was on the environmental impact and the significant increase in traffic as guests of the hotel arrive at all hours of the day and night.

If anyone else would like to object, you can email you can also cc the local councillors and

Related news & features

Wednesday 15 March 2006 10.22am
I expect they're attracted to the area by the same sorts of things that attract all the people who've bought into the new flats down B. St.

And I expect that a lot of people thought the new flats spoilt the tone of the area (which, surprisingly, never used to be a street full of estate agents, trendy bars and "architect designed" posh flats).

I'd welcome the hotel as a natural next step on the development curve that made it the place it is today

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 10.54am
Where exactly in Bermondsey Street are we talking about?
Wednesday 15 March 2006 10.56am
Thanks Ivanhoe

Not very helpful, but your efforts are appreciated.

I suspect that this affects lots of people on Bermondsey St. including those that have lived in the area for many years and who might have objected to the new build flats as well.

A seven storey hotel is much bigger than anything else nearby and would dominate the whole street.

Wednesday 15 March 2006 10.58am
maurits wrote:
Where exactly in Bermondsey Street are we talking about?

It's the building site near Bermondsey Kitchen
Wednesday 15 March 2006 11.13am
loss of light isn't a valid objection point, depending of course on the amount of loss. (there is direct sunlight loss which isn't considered as a loss really and there is indirect light loss which is taken into consideration as far as i remember)
(i tried that with several building site on each side of my block)
however, loss of privacy and noise pollution are valid comments. as are conservation area issues.
look at the reasons for recent application refusals. and write a letter.

you should have been consulted. but as with all new laid out areas, the convenience of 'forgetting' someone is just to obvious. for one of the planning applications next door they send the consultation letter to the neighbour twice instead.

as with all urban inner london areas, there will always be building sites unfortunately. the problem is that there doesn't seem to be an overall view and understanding of how things are put together and that the people who will live there have to travel there, send their kids to school(well not in this case of course), go to the doctor etc. (as mentioned in previous threads about highrises and mini manhattan)
sometimes it is beneficial for an area to move on, but maybe not quite at the speed it is currently doing.

Wednesday 15 March 2006 11.19am
No. You're right. Make them build the hotel in someone else's back yard.

...if you press it, they will come.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 11.22am
Ivanhoe wrote:
No. You're right. Make them build the hotel in someone else's back yard.

They already are.
At More London, London Bridge Tower and Bermondsey Square.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 11.26am
Ivanhoe, sounds like you're miffed at the way Bermondsey Street has developed - your reply suggested that this hotel is a deserved punishment. Why don't you submit a plan for a nice shopping mall to really finish things off? I would have thought the regeneration ('posh flats and trendy bars') would have been welcomed: I don't see how these have any relevence to a seven story hotel on a narrow, primarily residential street. The hotel will stand two storeys taller than any neighbouring building. I'm also unsure as to how the comings and goings of - I assume primarily business - hotel residents will add to the community of the area.

I'm totally with Trevor G on this, and I am astounded that the council has even considered such a proposal in what it supposed to be a conservation area.
Wednesday 15 March 2006 11.51am
I am totally with Ivanhoe on this matter and I think it will be a great addition to the area. Moreover, I think that anything built on this site will affect light, sunlight, privacy or whatever else happens when an inner city site is being built on.

Tourism and business travelers are important economic factors in the no 1 European tourist destination and the most important financial centre in Europe. I welcome their presence and business in our neighbourhood, and when I can't bear it anymore I will choose to live in an area where these developments are less likely to happen.

edited for spelling errors

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 15 March 2006 12.08pm by maurits.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next
Current: 1 of 11

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: