Japanese Food

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 27 January 2003 5.20pm
It's a long shot, but does anyone know of a place to get Japanese groceries? In SE1 would be glorious, but I will go anywhere in zones 1-2 to get some fresh mochi and dried fungus. There's the gigantic Asian World supermarket in North London, but it's in, like, N47.

Monday 27 January 2003 5.50pm

There is the Japan centre in Collindale whicj is what I think you are talking about, was very good when I went there - but that's about 5 years ago, only 25 mins on thameslink
Monday 27 January 2003 7.20pm
There are a couple of small but reasonably priced Japanese shops in Brewer st. W1 - just north of Picadilly Circus. They do mochi at Christmas time, possibly all year. There are also some authentic restaurants on the same street and further north of there.
Tuesday 28 January 2003 8.00am
There's also the basement of the Japan Centre in Piccadilly (v near Brewer Street). I think the prices are slightly more hilariously expensive there than the supermarket on Brewer Street, but not by much.

For Japanese alcohol, there's also the Rice Wine Shop on Brewer Street. Great for chu-hi.

Thursday 30 January 2003 7.16pm
How about Moshi Moshi in Liverpool Street Station, it's just a hop across the river! ;0)
Monday 3 February 2003 11.14am
hi penelope,

there is a good little japanese supermarket on Brewer St. W1 called 'Arigato'.

it stocks many popular fresh & dried/pacakged japanese groceries etc all at reasonable prices.
Monday 3 February 2003 12.29pm
Oriental City in Colindale is far and away the best but a trek to get to.
Tuesday 4 February 2003 3.42pm
Oriental City is the one in N47 that 'penny' mentioned... I tend to go there about twice a month...

The little supermarket in Brewer Street is very good. Most stuff can be had from the numerous places in Chinatown too...

Friday 7 February 2003 8.52am
theres two asian supermarkets - one in Walworth Road opposite the post office, and there is another much larger one on the road to greenwich from rotherhithe, past Bucks warehouse on the left and the k.f.c. on the right if I can think of the name of the road, I will post it .......

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: