Last chance to see 122-144 Southwark Bridge Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Friday 17 March 2006 12.06pm
In case any one is interested the rather old-looking (at least from behind - perhaps they have had Victorian facades added?) but derelict buildings on Southwark Bridge Road/Webber Street by the junction with Great Suffolk Street are about to be demolished. They are the former offices of A Smith Funeral Directors - and there is still a rather nice clock on the outside in Southwark Bridge Road.

http://194.168.41.26/cgi-bin/acolnetcgi.exe
Friday 17 March 2006 2.51pm
I know, this is very sad I think. The buildings are pretty well derelict and have been squatted in for the last year or so but it seems such a waste of what i think are really attractive buildings. They and the ugly brick warehouse building on the block are being demolished to build - yep you guessed it - a big block of flats. We live just next door and although the current buildings are a blot, it would seem much better for the terraces to be redeveloped into houses rather than demolished. Perhaps they are so far gone its not possible, but as someone posted the other day some pretty derelict houses further north on Southwark Bridge Road have been redeveloped in a sensitive way and make me very envious everytime I walk past! I only wish I had the money to buy them and do them up first! And of course we really need lots more blocks of big modern flats (not to try and start another argument about modern developments!).
Friday 17 March 2006 8.32pm
Sad news - that whole area is losing most of its former character.

I'm trying to remember - was the half derelict former Atlas Printing Works (name?) with its giant male sculptural figures (Atlantides)on that stretch of SBR as well - demolished overnight in the early 1990s IIRC. I did wonder at the time whether the building got knocked down just to get the sculptures given the price that container loads of stolen garden stratuary were fetching in France and Germany at that time.
Sunday 26 March 2006 11.44pm
^BUMP^

Does no one else remember the former Atlas works ???
Or was I the only person in SE1 (other than the demolishers) to spot these rather fine bits of sculpture before they vanished?
Wednesday 5 April 2006 11.57am
Lang Rabbie- the Atlas figures...were they near the the refraction clinic ( now institute of opthamology,brilliant place for eyes testing) newington causeway? i remember some there...
Wednesday 5 April 2006 5.59pm
Jan the old one wrote:
Lang Rabbie- the Atlas figures...were they near the the refraction clinic ( now institute of opthamology,brilliant place for eyes testing) newington causeway? i remember some there...

IIRC the Atlas works was on the west side of whichever road it was - just north of a railway bridge on Thameslink viaduct

Edited to add: You're right as ever It was a Paper Works not a Printing Works .

Entry in Public Monuments and Sculpture Association Database found by Googling on Atlas and Newington Causeway.

I always used to get my bridges confused in that part of SE1 - particularly after a pint or three in the former Goose and Firkin!!!
Wednesday 8 November 2006 4.36pm
http://home.iprimus.com.au/billlize/page34.htm

Was this the Atlas Works you were thinking of? Herberts Buildings can be found on old maps as a former name for Gray Street off Webber Street.
Wednesday 8 November 2006 11.21pm
No, they were definitely on Newington Causeway.

I never managed to find a photo. The only other reference on the web appears to be to the proprietors "Messrs Crescens Robinson and Company Limited" having completed a wage survey for Charles Booth's poverty survey in c.1893 when the firm are described as "bag-makers"

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: