French Market in Lower Marsh

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Friday 17 March 2006 2.59pm
A little French Market has appeared in Lower Marsh today and it's staying there until Sunday. Seems quite expensive but this shouldn't worry Borough Market-type shoppers. Looks colourful and smells good.
Friday 17 March 2006 3.03pm
The publicity for this event has been strange to say the least. Obviously we would have promoted it in our publications if we had known about it. We had an email a week ago from someone in Lower Marsh saying that they'd heard it was happening Sat/Sun, but didn't know exact times etc.

Then walking along Lower Marsh yesterday I spotted the French flags saying French Market here Fri/Sat/Sun - but again not giving times, which isn't very helpful. All very frustrating. Especially as the aim is presumably to encourage more people to venture down Lower Marsh.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17 March 2006 3.06pm by James Hatts.
Friday 17 March 2006 3.09pm
This event seems to rotate around varying areas, not only in London but also all of the South West of the UK. I don't think they ever advertise much-normally just a banner as it doesn't really necessitate it-they make more than enough from passing trade.
Friday 17 March 2006 3.14pm
The French market last October - pictures here: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/1814 - was a joint venture between Lambeth Markets, Lower Marsh People, Lambeth Town Centre and Southside Chamber of Commerce and we did get advance notice and were able to flag it up.

But this time even Lower Marsh People didn't know about it till last week.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17 March 2006 3.18pm by James Hatts.
Friday 17 March 2006 3.21pm
I got some fantastic marinated anchovies last time, and that doughnut string stuff covered in icing sugar.

Highly recommended for those wanting heart conditions...

Regards,

Loafer
Friday 17 March 2006 4.29pm
James,

I got an email from WCDG about three days ago. I think they are organising.

The email went out to what seemed to be their whole mailing list. (I was tempted to do a "reply all" and lobby for the park!) Don't understand why you are not on it. Do you normally receive stuff from WCDG? Or is this another of the strange tensions that exist in Waterloo?

Otherwise it might have been on the wonderful mailing from the North Lambeth Town Centre Maanger which promised amongst other things a free talk on the history of the human kidbney (this lunchtime so you have missed it ) and a North Lambeth Domestic Violence Event at the Vauxhall Gardens Community Centre.

The first time there was a market - I think this is about the third - stall holders complained about the level of shoplifting.

The best event this weekend though should be the Roots and Shoots farmers market on Sunday. It is a really good organisation.
Friday 17 March 2006 4.48pm
I would have thought the local authority would be better discouraging a Domestic Violence Event in North Lambeth, rather than organising one.

I'm also glad I missed the kidney talk, it sounded offal.

(Sorry, it's Friday, so I'm feeling mildly giddy!)

Regards,

Loafer

Edited to say - See you at Roots & Shoots - an excellent and worthwhile local event.

Edited 1 times. Last edit at 17 March 2006 4.49pm by loafer.
Friday 17 March 2006 7.00pm
I now see from the news item that the kidney event is actually a play performed by six year olds.

Lambeth say that further Domestic Violence Events can be arranged in other locations if there is demand.

If Loafer or anyone else is interested, I can pass on the contact.
Monday 20 March 2006 11.05am
By Sunday it looked as if the olive stall lady had abandoned Lower Marsh and relocated to Roots and Shoots where she seemed to be doing a roaring trade.

I wish "Waterloo" and "Kennington" woud talk to each other. A Saturday Market in Lower Marsh followed by Sunday supporting a Roots and Shoots event might keep all happy, including the French.
Wednesday 28 June 2006 12.27pm
The original French market (the one which visited last October) is returning next week:
http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/584/french-market

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: