Village East licensing extension

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5
Sunday 19 March 2006 7.54pm
Does anyone living on Bermondsey Street have an opinion on Village East applying to now open till 1am Thurs & 2am Fri/Sat?
It is very late in the day to now raise an objection, the deadline is Tuesday 21st March, but I personally feel it is still worthwhile.

Village East is a welcome addition to the locality yet it promises to become a greater source of noise and disruption in the wee small hours of the weekend.
This will be particularly so come the Spring/Summer months in a street that has an ever increasing percentage of residential properties.

I see no reason why they cannot keep within the hours of comparable pub/restaurants such as the Woolpack, Garrison, Bermondsey Kitchen.

It's worth noting that the application is not currently listed on Southwark Councils website http://www.southwark.gov.uk/BusinessCentre/Licensing/CurrentApplication/

Representation should be made to the London Borough of Southwark, Licensing Service, Environmental Health & Trading Standards, Chaplin Centre, Thurlow Street, London SE17 2DG.
Tuesday 21 March 2006 12.13am
Not necesarily. We are not far from the Hartley, furher up on Tower Bridge Road and it extended to 2am when the laws changed . No drunken crowds, no vomit, not noise - not that I've seen. Depends on the TYPE of guest you seek and you attract - not the hours.

IMO here is actually no reason that in 2006 in London (which claims to be a major world city) people should not be able to enjoy an easy casual drink in their neigbourhood at the weeken - instead of being fored to go to a loud Soho "nightclub" and pay a cover charge.

In New York all bars can open til 4am as of right, many of these in residential neighburhoods. No vomit their either, unless you count a minute percentage of the east and west village where student type bars are lined up 4-5-6 on the same block.

But Village East is most likley the type of place that liad back people will enjoy and yobbos will avoid.

erniebug wrote:
Village East is a welcome addition to the locality yet it promises to become a greater source of noise and disruption in the wee small hours of the weekend.
This will be particularly so come the Spring/Summer months in a street that has an ever increasing percentage of residential properties.

I see no reason why they cannot keep within the hours of comparable pub/restaurants such as the Woolpack, Garrison, Bermondsey Kitchen.
Tuesday 21 March 2006 12.27pm
Was in there last night - pathetic service. 5 different staff asked to bring a menu - all failed to bring anything. Left without eating. No-one seemed the slightest bit concerned. It has great potential but only if they employ people who know how to deliver something like customer service
Thursday 23 March 2006 4.47pm
Sorry guys to disappoint you but the Woolpack has got extended opening hours and it is a NIGHTMARE!!
They have been told to close all windows and doors during the late nights but this DOES NOT happen.
It is noisy and when you ask the people coming out to quieten down you are met with a barrage of abuse.

Keep a journal of the noise and ring the noise team everytime you get disturbed.

Noise team: 020 75255777
Thursday 23 March 2006 4.50pm
Something I did forget though.

Obviously, live near The Garrison as well but never seem to get problems from the punters coming out of there. I have spoken to them as well and have so far been met with apologies and quick departures.
Thursday 23 March 2006 6.10pm
Speakloud, you live next to TWO pubs and you're complaining?

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 23 March 2006 9.22pm
Yes, I chose to live here but when I moved here The Woolpack wasn't even open.

Does that mean that all people who live near to pubs should forfeit their right to sleep?

I'm not complaining I just want The Woolpack to abide by the rules of their license and the people coming out to respect the nieghbours rights.

As I said not a great problem from The Garrison but then no surprise when you look at the clientele coming out of the Woolpack half the time.
Thursday 23 March 2006 10.04pm
Southwark have more powers since the new licensing act came into force. Try here for sleep help:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/BusinessCentre/Licensing/ReportingaPremises.html
Thursday 23 March 2006 11.39pm
I live just behind Village East and certainly no disturbance to date with the current hours - seems to be quite a relaxed place rather than boozy. IF they do get the later hours, it will be subject to them meeting very strict requirements under the licensing regs, so should be straightforward to get it revoked if they don't oblige.

they've got flats above, so they'll have to be very careful anyway

whoa - that was a serious first post!

Moved to Bermondsey St a couple of months ago and loving it so far - hello all!
Friday 24 March 2006 12.19am
speakloud wrote:
Yes, I chose to live here but when I moved here The Woolpack wasn't even open.

Caveat emptor. This is a pub that has only been closed between various changes of name/management for three months out of the last ten years.

speakloud wrote:
As I said not a great problem from The Garrison but then no surprise when you look at the clientele coming out of the Woolpack half the time.

And just what is that supposed to mean???

[Declares interest as someone who only frequents the Woolpack when in Bermondsey Street solely for the purpose of going for a drink]
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 Next
Current: 1 of 5

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: