Drought/Water Shortage

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 22 March 2006 9.56pm
Thames Water are already setting up a hose-pipe ban. How come nobody is mentioning that the water shortage has something to do with all the increasing number of flats and houses that are being put up in the South East. There are tons in our small area alone! All these flats have bathrooms, showers, washing machines, people with cars to be washed, etc - yet there are no more reservoirs - it hasn't even been thought about. Same as the rest of the infrastructre - doesn't seem to have been considered. We can't get secondary school places for our kids as it is, yet more and more flats are going up without any more schools - what about the hospitals and the doctors? Has anyone else had these thoughts?
Wednesday 22 March 2006 10.07pm
If Thames Water spent as much money on maintaining the infrastructure as they do giving Bonuses to their Directors ....
Wednesday 22 March 2006 10.13pm
Not to mention the burst pipes that take days to sort out.....
Jac
Wednesday 22 March 2006 11.00pm
yennig wrote:
Not to mention the burst pipes that take days to sort out.....

Dont you mean weeks. there was a burst main on Grange road for at least 4 weeks recently. One day I saw no less than 6 burst mains in a small area of se1
Wednesday 22 March 2006 11.08pm
And what do OFWAT do? Hands up at the back and please don't use any expletives ...
Thursday 23 March 2006 10.48am
I think you'll find that Thames Water is self regulated by TWAT
Thursday 23 March 2006 11.32am
I was amazed at how long water was gushing out of the pavement outside Perronet House at Elephant and Castle. What's the point in putting up fences around it (which got knocked/blown over fairly quickly!) if you then don't repair the burst pipe for nearly a week?
Thursday 23 March 2006 11.36am
Zappomatic wrote:
I was amazed at how long water was gushing out of the pavement outside Perronet House at Elephant and Castle. What's the point in putting up fences around it (which got knocked/blown over fairly quickly!) if you then don't repair the burst pipe for nearly a week?
I did some phoning around about that, because the local Tories put out a press release. Thames Water said it was an issue for Southwark as it was their pipe. Southwark said that Thames Water had already carried out the work on their behalf.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: