Wormeries

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 23 March 2006 8.41am
I just ordered my wormery from Southwark Recycling. Details here:

http://www.southwark.gov.uk/YourServices/environment/RecyclingPages/HomeComposting.html

Anyone started yet? Any tips?
Thursday 23 March 2006 9.12am
Hi Andrew H,

have you seen the existing wormery thread at http://www.london-se1.co.uk/forum/read/2/32862 ?

I have one of the first wormeries distributed by CRISP (Community Recycling in Southwark Project). They have just released 250 more, I went to the launch of this phase of the project on Friday (much photography of councillor with worms). The wormeries come highly recommended - in my opinion they are superior to the ones you can buy because they are made of wood, and regulate the moisture better. As you say they are available for 5 from CRISP, composting@crispj.org.uk or 020-7252-7709.

With the wormery you get a booklet with all the info you need, so your tips will be in there Andrew, but do post on here and ask if you get stuck, there are a few people on here with the wormeries.
Thursday 23 March 2006 9.14am
nb. you may have to wait a while for delivery, they are expecting a rush at first.
Thursday 23 March 2006 11.29am
Ah OK, it didn't occur to me to check under Chatter. Thanks very much.
Thursday 23 March 2006 11.36am
Usually a search is best for checking out old threads.
Tuesday 30 May 2006 4.22pm
Worm Composting Workshop coming up:

http://www.london-se1.co.uk/whatson/event/248/worm-composting-workshop

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 30 May 2006 4.34pm
That's handy (the workshop)....

....if you happen to be free on a Weds at 2pm.

Honestly, is the idea that wormeries (which, I can only assume, are subisdised somewhere down the line by taxpayers' money) will only be of interest to people who work nights, part time, or who do not work (and thus are free on Weds afternoons)?

How very sustainable.

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 30 May 2006 5.25pm
Ivanhoe wrote:
only be of interest to people who work nights, part time, or who do not work ...?

Or care enough to take an afternoon off to attend..(!)

However I'd guess the aim of the event is more to raise awareness of the programme rather than providing actual training (I mean how much training can it take?! Am I being naive??). If people can't attend but do have questions then I'm sure they can raise them with CRISP directly.

We've received our wormery as well - I leave it to the other half to look after so I don't have any tips or queries myself.
Tuesday 30 May 2006 5.56pm
Yes Neil. You are right. I could take an afternoon off work to find out all about it! What a fool I am.

Why didn't I think of your extremely clever idea? Could it be that I'm working to afford the money to buy a wormery? Or that I don't have an other half to sort my rotting waste for me? Or that I'm mentally deficient? (Oh, hang on, you have already suggested that {Quote: "I mean, how much training can it take?! Am I being naive??."} Do excuse me for being too dim to spotyour clever joke first time round.)

If you were to set up life skills classes, I would definitely take time off work to attend, as I can already see how they would make me a...erm...different person.

Learning a little every day...

Ivanhoe

...if you press it, they will come.
Thursday 8 June 2006 12.41pm
I've been running our wormery for over a month or so now, and it seems to use up our organic waste well. I attended a useful workshop on Saturday 13th May, so, Ivanhoe, don't give up hope of another weekend opportunity. Let CRISP know you are keen to attend.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: