Southwark Street potholes

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 1 February 2003 10.42am
The potholes along Southwark Street have become nothing short of highly dangerous. There is one on the eastbound side that is almost a foot deep and another of the same depth toward Blackfriars Bridge on the other side. They have been there for weeks and weeks. Will Southwark Council wait until a motorcyclist has killed him/herself and untold amounts of other vehicles have wrecked their suspension systems before doing something about it?

Surely it can't be beyond their capabilities to send someone out with a wheelbarrowful of concrete or tarmac to fill them in?
Monday 3 February 2003 8.38am
I have an MG Midget and was a whisker away from grounding it by Blackfriars Bridge!

Are they potholes or craters? Sometimes it looks like the luftwaffe sneaked back during the night....

apparently if we photograph the hole(s) and report it then the council becomes accountable to do something within a fixed period - like wonder what that is.

I've seen better roads in the outback of Australia!
Monday 3 February 2003 2.50pm
I lost a tyre,the wheel was bent and the wheel trim ripped off and broken thanks to an enormous hole at the junction of Southwark Street and Great Suffolk Street.It was a Saturday morning but after numerous phone calls to Southwark Council Highways department an inspector was sent to meet me at the sight.I took photos in his presence-and lo and behold- the hole wasn't there later in the day!I got compensation-eventually-for the replacement tyre and wheel trim and repair to the wheel.So get onto the highways department,tell them you've got photos and it's surprising how quickly they respond!

Christianna

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: