Inside Out and Loyalty Card

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Sunday 26 March 2006 5.23pm
So did anyone actually see one of these 15,000 loyalty cards announced by the Mayor last week which were due to be distributed this weekend during the Inside Out festival?

On Saturday I walked along the river from Tate Modern to Potters Fields and on Sunday from Southwark Cathedral to Royal Festival Hall and at no point did I see any evidence of these cards.

The Inside Out event itself was somewhat watered down from what was originally promised - for example there were no stalls from Borough Market operating in The Scoop by City Hall.

Whilst I'm sure the performances outside the National were good, and Coin Street put on a nice family workshop at Bernie Spain Gardens, I suspect anyone lured to the area by the publicity would have been rather underwhelmed. There simply wasn't enough on for it to gel as a coherent festival/event.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Sunday 26 March 2006 7.43pm
yes I picked up a couple at dare I say it in Starbucks behind the founders arms. They came foil wrapped and not called loyalty cards and were on a display marked please take one where the sugar etc is kept. I didn't notice them as I dont take sugar but the person I was with did. Not at all obvious what there were and very easily missed
Monday 27 March 2006 8.40am
I managed to eventually track a few down after asking several people outside ther NT on Saturday. Went along to Design Museaum on Sunday to claim my 2 for 1, and it doesnt start until Monday arrrgh!! Still got a 2 for 1 by showing an oyster card.

The Inside Out 'cultural extravaganza' didn't seem hugely different from the normal Saturday fare, except for a few live drums at the Globe and the Caravan Gallery (Fab) and the Circus/flora tents. Still the Southbank/south bank/South Bank is always lovely for a weekend stroll...but Ken- could do better.

By the way the Design Museum was, as always fantastic. Hope it doesn't move. They now have an architect expert as their new director so he may save it...
Monday 27 March 2006 9.32am
I went to the NT on Saturday morning and the girls behind the counter were not aware of this loyalty card. After much debating, they finally noticed that they had those vouchers under foil wrap. It was really badly designed and I am not sure many were given away.
Monday 27 March 2006 10.04am
It's quite bewildering how, on the one hand we have wonderful events organised right on our doorstep, but on the other hand, the organisers still seem to make a complete hash of it!

As you say, Borough Market didn't make it to the Scoop, but what WAS there in the morning was completely unannounced: The Philharmonia Orchestra playing a medley of classics. Brilliant stuff, but not one person I spoke to even knew it was taking place until they happened to be walking past!

If the "Powers that be" really are committed to the idea of bringing art out to "the masses", perhaps they ought to learn how to publicise it better.
Tuesday 28 March 2006 8.22am
It seemed pretty crowded along most of the south bank of the river on Saturday, so I dont think its just the publicity - its the content. Really uncomfortable to complain about anything thats free, but as the leading cultural city in the world- we could do a tad better.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: