The Old Vic Annexe - Listed

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 27 March 2006 6.31pm
I live just off The Cut and have to say that I find it extraordinary that anyone would want to preserve such a ghastly building. As I walk by it virtually everyday I often fantasise about demolishing this genuine carbuncle. It doesn't hamonise with either the Vic nor the other properties around - today it would never get planning.

Many years ago I used to direct at the Vic and had an office in the building; it was equally awful inside! I don't think anything can be done to make it pleasing to the eye but at the moment it looks totally neglected and needs some tlc.

I'm sure someone, somewhere will talk up the virtues of this horror and I look forward to reading their posts.

Related news & features

Monday 27 March 2006 9.40pm
Its really strange I walked past there today ,and I cant remember what the annex looks like.from your discription it sounds like it was added in the seventes,look on the bright side at least you know its not going to be replaces with something worse.
Monday 27 March 2006 9.42pm
The National Theatre is about to refurbish the building. The NT's archives will be housed there and will be open to the public, which is very exciting.

I think it has a certain scruffy charm.
Monday 27 March 2006 9.44pm
Incidentally, the Old Vic doesn't own the building, the National does. It was once the Old Vic annex, it's now the NT Studio.
Monday 27 March 2006 9.58pm
mickysalt wrote:
Its really strange I walked past there today ,and I cant remember what the annex looks like.

Picture and details here: http://www.london-se1.co.uk/news/view/2076

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Monday 27 March 2006 10.16pm
It might not be a master piece, but its definitely a period piece.and pretty inoffensive.
Tuesday 28 March 2006 11.08pm
cjwtv wrote:
I live just off The Cut and have to say that I find it extraordinary that anyone would want to preserve such a ghastly building. As I walk by it virtually everyday I often fantasise about demolishing this genuine carbuncle. It doesn't hamonise with either the Vic nor the other properties around - today it would never get planning.

I think when it was designed in 1958, the dark coloured bricks were actually chosen to tone with the smoke darkened London stock brick of its surroundings. Back then no one could antipate how 40 years of the Clean Air Act would lead to London's Victorian buildings being washed to a lighter shade.

IMO it would be much improved if the paintwork was stripped off the concrete - the building was much less assertive before the Mirvishes gave it a cosmetic makeover in the late 1980s(wasn't the advance box office for the Old Vic briefly in the ground floor IIRC???)

BTW - there is a blog article on the listing of the annexe on felixsalmon.com - which rightly takes the BBC news website to task for illustrating their article on Brutalism with a picture of the Royal Festival Hall of all things!!!
Sunday 2 April 2006 9.17pm
Lang Rabbie wrote:
IMO it would be much improved if the paintwork was stripped off the concrete - the building was much less assertive before the Mirvishes gave it a cosmetic makeover in the late 1980s(wasn't the advance box office for the Old Vic briefly in the ground floor IIRC???)
When I workrd at the Vic the Box Office was still in the foyer of the Vic but was still in a "box" and not open-plan as now. Also The Stage Door was in Waterloo Rd.

Thanks for the comment about how the colour was chosen to blend in with the smogs - I love it. Let's hope now the horror is staying that the National bestow some TLC upon it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: