Accident in Bermondsey Street, Tuesday afternoon

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 10.16am
Yesterday afternoon (Tuesday 4th April) at about 4.30pm, I witnessed an elderly gentleman being run over by a cyclist at the Long Lane end of Bermondsey Street. The gentleman in question had his feet pulled out from under him and fell forward very heavily, breaking the fall with his forehead - very nasty. Unfortunately, I was in a car and holding up the traffic and - because lots of people were already on hand - I continued my journey. However, would like to know that the gentleman is ok. Does anyone who posts have any additional information??
Wednesday 5 April 2006 10.53am
Fortunately a Police armed response unit showed up and George was given a very comfortable seat in their 5 series BMW until the ambulance arrived.

He had a lump on his head the size of an egg and he was shipped off to hospital for a check up. I hope that I'll hear that he is OK.

I didn't actually see the initial impact but the person I was speaking to did see it and said that it seemed to be just one of those things. The cyclist wasn't doing anything out of the ordinary.

Niall
Wednesday 5 April 2006 11.30am
Thanks very much for letting me know - what a relief. From the way he hit the deck, my Dad and I feared he may be a gonner.
From what I saw, the cyclist did seem to make every attempt to avoid the gentleman, but the collision happened anyway.
Niall - if you know the gentleman in question, or know someone who knows him, please pass on my wishes for a speedy and full recovery.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 11.50am
George used my phone to 'call home' and I have the number. Thus far, no update but I will let you know if I hear.

Niall
Wednesday 5 April 2006 6.35pm
George was kept in hospital overnight and discharged this afternoon. He is now staying with friends until he is 100%. Evidently no significant consequences.

Niall
Friday 7 April 2006 4.49pm
And Jack Carter said there's no community spirit left, surely this must prove him wrong, sounds like a very caring community to me.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: