SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 22
Wednesday 5 April 2006 12.30pm
..................I grew up in SE1, just like most of my family, going back generations.

Just stumbled across this website and thought i'd post about the sickening gentrification of the area

An area that was once poor, but had soul, was lively and had community, now has turned into a soulless wannabe Hoxton yuppy nightmare

Bermondsey Street has to be one of the most pretentious places going. Do you yuppies realised what you have done to the area?

Same with places like Shoreditch, Clapham, Battersea etc..................the middle classes come in and wreck an area.

I can't wait for the day when urban living (the most crindge worthy phrase around) is not 'hip' anymore and the real people of the area can reclaim it

SoBo..............LOL

Using terms like 'urban, edgy', drinking in trendy wine bars with names like village east, wearing baggy, ripped jeans and not shaving does not mean you are a true SE1 bod

When the time comes, these yuppies will move off to the suburbs and raise their 2.4 familes, whilst telling people they used to live in da ghetto, rough old Bermondsey etc

You might take our areas and drive us out but you'll never be accepted

Jarvis Cocker wrote common people for the idiots who use terms like SoBo.............

SE1 RIP
Wednesday 5 April 2006 12.36pm
Hey Jack

You're 'old guard'. Times have changed. Things have moved on. Nothing lasts for ever. The docks have closed. Peak Freans as well. Hartleys too. It may not be my taste either but I know that I'm in a minority. The people who have bought-in have put their money where their mouths are and who are we to slag them off.

Where would you rather be?

Regards

Niall

PS George has gone for the sandwiches.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 12.41pm
You miss the point Jack, people like me and the majority of people on this board live/want to live in SE1 because it has soul, a community, etc. I could have lived in any of the other places you mentioned, but didn't want to because I like the fact that in Bermondsey there is a mixture of people, I know my neighbour and the pretention (as you call it) is confined to only a small part of SE1.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 12.45pm
carmenes82 wrote:
You miss the point Jack, people like me and the majority of people on this board live/want to live in SE1 because it has soul, a community, etc. I could have lived in any of the other places you mentioned, but didn't want to because I like the fact that in Bermondsey there is a mixture of people, I know my neighbour and the pretention (as you call it) is confined to only a small part of SE1.

People move into these areas cos it has soul, then push the real locals out, and it becomes just another cold soulless pretentious area. The same has happened to many other places

Bermondsey DOESNT have soul anymore.........it did, up to about 4-5 years ago, but gentrification, multi-culturalism and displacement have ruined the area.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 12.54pm
Jack

Come back to planet earth.

Where have people been driven out? The Tyers Estate is still there. So is Whites Grounds. No-one was driven out. 20 years ago Bermondsey St was mainly derelict or vacant warehousing. There was little or no economic activity. Now there is. Now there are actually local jobs to replace the thousands that were lost with the closure of the docks.

As I said, you might not like it but its life.

Where would you rather be?

Regards

Niall
Wednesday 5 April 2006 1.00pm
Ah, your true colours Shine through Jack, what you're really ranting about is that Bermondsey is now full of 'multi-culturalism' - by which I take it that you mean non white people, and you state that this is a negative factor.

Of course, everyone would love to back to how London (SE1) used to be in the 'good old days' - meat-headed blokes with short hair, fighting pit-bull dogs, no education, a bigoted view of the world, a general hatred of everything, no money, poor housing etc. Sounds great... ?

What your rant is really about is about being jealous of the new wealth, open minded attitudes, a mixed community that welcomes outsiders and 'locals' alike and people who want to live in nice surroundings and be positive about their lives.

Your view is so common in areas like this, it is fueled by hatred. How anyone can argue that gentrification (this is a positive word, it means nicer surroundings) is bad is clearly missing the point. Also, everything is seen as negative, because you feel hard done by in some way and seek to blame outside forces rather than yourself or your views.

I happen to be new to the area (I'm white by the way, just in case you wondered) and moved in to Bermondsey 3 years ago. I live in a lovely street that has a mixture of 'old' and 'new' in it, black and white, I know all my neighbours and they fully accept me in to their community with no issues, as we do to newer people who have moved in.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 1.06pm
Niall Connolly wrote:
Jack
Come back to planet earth.

Where have people been driven out? The Tyers Estate is still there. So is Whites Grounds. No-one was driven out. 20 years ago Bermondsey St was mainly derelict or vacant warehousing. There was little or no economic activity. Now there is. Now there are actually local jobs to replace the thousands that were lost with the closure of the docks.

As I said, you might not like it but its life.

Where would you rather be?

Regards

Niall

Niall

If you can't see that local people have been forced out of Bermondsey then it's you that needs to return to planet earth

Dear me, how naive can you be.

Even our local M.P accepts that the area has changed massively due to gentrification and multi-culturalism

The amount of Bermondsey heads i know that have moved out is ridiculous, only a few of us are left.

That is the way things are going for the moment, inner London is being turned on it's head and there is nothing anyone can do about it.

I wish the communities that have always been the bedrock of the area could feel the benefit of the current good times, and we could have our communities back but it is never going to happen

The white working classes of inner London have been systematically removed, out of the way
Wednesday 5 April 2006 1.09pm
Jack Carter wrote:
carmenes82 wrote:
You miss the point Jack, people like me and the majority of people on this board live/want to live in SE1 because it has soul, a community, etc. I could have lived in any of the other places you mentioned, but didn't want to because I like the fact that in Bermondsey there is a mixture of people, I know my neighbour and the pretention (as you call it) is confined to only a small part of SE1.

People move into these areas cos it has soul, then push the real locals out, and it becomes just another cold soulless pretentious area. The same has happened to many other places

Bermondsey DOESNT have soul anymore.........it did, up to about 4-5 years ago, but gentrification, multi-culturalism and displacement have ruined the area.

So what you're saying is that one of the things that has destroyed the Bermondsey that you used to know and love is "multi-culturalism", is that correct?

If that's the case then I think the "alright if it's all white" Bermondsey you're alluding to is best left in history or down the New Den.

In fact if multi-culturalism isn't a thing you like, I'm surprised you still live in London at all. Whilst I have sympathy with some aspects of your argument, I don't with this one.

I'm sure that Bermondsey did have a good traditional working class sense of community about it years ago, and the arrival of money in the area has caused issues and difficulties and displacement, but I think you have to go beyond what has happened to why it has happened, and there are many underlying economic reasons, and many of these have actually benefitted the area including regeneration of significant areas of SE1 which were either derelict warehouses or areas in poor condition.

This is clearly challenging and I for one agree that there isn't the same sense of community, but where is there?

Incidentally I don't for one minute believe that anyone living in nice apartment blocks in SE1 believes they're living "in da ghetto" and you risk stereo-typing what is a huge range of different people.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 1.14pm
JGarcia wrote:
Ah, your true colours Shine through Jack, what you're really ranting about is that Bermondsey is now full of 'multi-culturalism' - by which I take it that you mean non white people, and you state that this is a negative factor.
Of course, everyone would love to back to how London (SE1) used to be in the 'good old days' - meat-headed blokes with short hair, fighting pit-bull dogs, no education, a bigoted view of the world, a general hatred of everything, no money, poor housing etc. Sounds great... ?

What your rant is really about is about being jealous of the new wealth, open minded attitudes, a mixed community that welcomes outsiders and 'locals' alike and people who want to live in nice surroundings and be positive about their lives.

Your view is so common in areas like this, it is fueled by hatred. How anyone can argue that gentrification (this is a positive word, it means nicer surroundings) is bad is clearly missing the point. Also, everything is seen as negative, because you feel hard done by in some way and seek to blame outside forces rather than yourself or your views.

I happen to be new to the area (I'm white by the way, just in case you wondered) and moved in to Bermondsey 3 years ago. I live in a lovely street that has a mixture of 'old' and 'new' in it, black and white, I know all my neighbours and they fully accept me in to their community with no issues, as we do to newer people who have moved in.

Funny how you call me bigoted yet make bigoted generalisations of the people that used to live in the area?!?!?

Mr Trevor Phillips even admited that multi-culturalism is a bad thing.....does that make him a racist?

It is just too easy for narrow minded people like you to label people like me as uneducated bigoted morons...........instead of actually thinking that we may have a point.

Yes i am against multi-culturalism, because it doesnt work. People like you can move in, and from behind your gated communites, say, 'i live in Bermondsey, i know what it's like', no you don't.

I expected a bigoted, narrow midned reply like yours, so it's water off a duck's back.

As for gentrification means nicer surroundings............lol................maybe you are the one who needs an education!
Wednesday 5 April 2006 1.17pm
Jack,

The generalised rant against 'new' SE1ers is an easy target to hit with such a scatter gun approach. How far back can you trace your own family, were its origins exclusively Bermondsey? I'd be interested to know your definition of someone who deserves to live here. You seem to be suggesting that all 'communities' should be closed shops and never evolve or change, staying stuck in a time warp. If so, why should that point in time be the time that you lived in the area?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 1 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: