SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 22
Jac
Wednesday 5 April 2006 2.54pm
Jack Carter wrote:
dee dee wrote:
i've lived in SE1 all my life and I think the regeneration of se1and the river front and docklands - although se16 -has been great for the area and the people that live here. As Niall said most of the buildings now turned into homes shops and offices were derelict and have now been made into homes and communities . I believe the area has a lot of "soul" and this web site goes towards proving this.
you said you grew up in se1 Jack-do i take it you do not live here anymore?

You would be the first proper local i have ever met in my life to say that the changes have been for the better

I live in Rotherhithe now, another area, formally, full of pride, heart and soul, now, disapearing into yuppy nightmare..........

i'm not sure i really want to get into this arguement but I'm putting off getting on with work. Jack you make too many generalisations. You claim we dont "live" in it. well I have been hear 15+ years so i'm not a proper local as you call it, but I have chosen to bring my family up here as a great place to be. We use local schools, live and work here. sure there are problems but where aren't there? I grew up in the country where they compalin about city people moving in and pushing up house prices so their children cant affrod to live there any more. Thats life! no doubt my kids wont be able to afford to live here.

But one of the many things I love about SE1 is the friendliness much more so than the country where they like you Jack hated "outsiders". My many local friends consist of both old (several generations) and new locals and like Dee Dee they overall think the changes are for the better with of course some regrets. I am so pleased that I have met many real locals that have open minds.
Jim
Wednesday 5 April 2006 2.54pm
Out of interest... what line of work are you in, Mr Carter?
Wednesday 5 April 2006 2.56pm
Jack Carter wrote:
dee dee wrote:
i've lived in SE1 all my life and I think the regeneration of se1and the river front and docklands - although se16 -has been great for the area and the people that live here. As Niall said most of the buildings now turned into homes shops and offices were derelict and have now been made into homes and communities . I believe the area has a lot of "soul" and this web site goes towards proving this.

You would be the first proper local i have ever met in my life to say that the changes have been for the better

I live in Rotherhithe now, another area, formally, full of pride, heart and soul, now, disapearing into yuppy nightmare..........

I think you are looking back through rose tinted glasses Jack-my husband is from Rotherhithe and the area once the docks closed became a wasteland in many respects with no infrastructure or community so to speak now it is a thriving area with good facilities. What would you have rather seen rat infested wharehouses left to rot?

lifestyle changes have affected all areas, people do not go down the local on a saturday night like they used to and people do not know their neighbours. This is not a result of the death of the working class in se1 or anyother area more the modern world we live in and the hours and way we work.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 2.59pm
dee dee wrote:
Jack Carter wrote:
dee dee wrote:

I think you are looking back through rose tinted glasses Jack-my husband is from Rotherhithe and the area once the docks closed became a wasteland in many respects with no infrastructure or community so to speak now it is a thriving area with good facilities. What would you have rather seen rat infested wharehouses left to rot?

lifestyle changes have affected all areas, people do not go down the local on a saturday night like they used to and people do not know their neighbours. This is not a result of the death of the working class in se1 or anyother area more the modern world we live in and the hours and way we work.

Good points

I still think that gentrification has been a terrible thing for the area but i agree with you to a certain degree
Jim
Wednesday 5 April 2006 3.01pm
If the changes of the past decade have been so universally negative, what would you have done differently if you were in charge?

It's all very well moaning about 'multi-culturalism'. But what do you actually mean? Is it code for 'send 'em back'? I think we should be told.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 3.02pm
I thought Jack Carter was from Newcastle and only masqueraded as a London gangster.
He certainly died up north.
"You're a big man but you're out of shape. For me it's a full time job. Now behave"
Wednesday 5 April 2006 3.06pm
Jack Carter wrote:

Keep trying to believe we don't exist, close your eyes and we will disapear..........

If only.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 3.07pm
Jac wrote:
Jack Carter wrote:
dee dee wrote:

i'm not sure i really want to get into this arguement but I'm putting off getting on with work. Jack you make too many generalisations. You claim we dont "live" in it. well I have been hear 15+ years so i'm not a proper local as you call it, but I have chosen to bring my family up here as a great place to be. We use local schools, live and work here. sure there are problems but where aren't there? I grew up in the country where they compalin about city people moving in and pushing up house prices so their children cant affrod to live there any more. Thats life! no doubt my kids wont be able to afford to live here.

But one of the many things I love about SE1 is the friendliness much more so than the country where they like you Jack hated "outsiders". My many local friends consist of both old (several generations) and new locals and like Dee Dee they overall think the changes are for the better with of course some regrets. I am so pleased that I have met many real locals that have open minds.

I do generalise to a degree as this is a message board, not a debating chamber

Obviously there are some new comers/outsiders that do contribute but come on, lets be honest here, most yuppies are here only for the easy access to the city/wharf, and don't give two fcuks for the area etc
Wednesday 5 April 2006 3.10pm
This whole thread is a wind up, isn't it?
Wednesday 5 April 2006 3.12pm
Jim wrote:
If the changes of the past decade have been so universally negative, what would you have done differently if you were in charge?
It's all very well moaning about 'multi-culturalism'. But what do you actually mean? Is it code for 'send 'em back'? I think we should be told.

No it isn't a posh way too say 'send em back!'

Mass immigration has been a very negitive thing. The thing the middle class m.p's and media morons don't see is that it doesn't work.

OK, now people on here will say 'i live next door to a black bloke and we get on fine'............but it isn't as clear cut as that.

Sadly, i don't have time for a mass debate (childish i know) about these issues, but i do believe, like everyone i know, that multi - culturalism has been the worst thing to happen to this country............taken from the people that live with it, day in, day out.

Nothing personal, nothing racial, just fact
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 3 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network