SE 1........Used To Be Brilliant....

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 22
Wednesday 5 April 2006 2.13pm
Most of the thread is made up of quotes from previous messages. What a waste of space.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 2.15pm
I've got lost...did Jack mention race in his first post?
Wednesday 5 April 2006 2.38pm

Jack mentioned "multi-culturalism" ruining SE1 in his second post. Not quite the same thing as race, although it seems to me his later posts make his postion on race clear too.

My 0.02 is that it's very easy to get caught up in wanting things to stay the same. People generally are very bad at change. Some changes are good, some bad, and the best you can hope for is that the overall Balance goes in the right direction.

There is a [fairly well tried and tested] theory that the downfall of every great civilisation (a claim I do not necesssarily make for 21C Europe) can be mostly or wholly accounted for by attempts to try and make things "stay the same" including restricting immigration (c.f. The Roman Empire).

The success of the human race (and the reason that we are now out of control and destroying the natural Balance of our world's ecosystem) is our adaptability. Stifle that, and you take away the one thing we have going for us.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 3.14pm
Siduhe - I think you meant Jan not Jac who asked if Jac mentioned race . I'm not going into the race/multiculturalism arguement.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 3.18pm
I did. Sorry.
Wednesday 5 April 2006 3.58pm
Jack Carter wrote:
.................., but had soul, was lively and had community,

Come along on Friday - we're all meeting up at Simon the Tanner (not Village East) for a drink or two - check us out and see if we are the "yuppies" you obviously despise ... I can guarantee we have soul, are lively and definitely have a sense of commumity (and humour too), and my jeans are neither baggy nor ripped ... [note to self: must shave!]

You might be surprised ...
Wednesday 5 April 2006 5.19pm
Well, that prospect seems to have successfully frightened him off...
Thursday 6 April 2006 2.14pm
i'd like to meet Jack Carter, he sounds like such a nice man.

if i had to describe him, i'd say that he's probably about 40, with a wife and maybe 2 kids, he has short hair, he works out at the gym once a week, he supports Millwall Football Club (he probably has a season ticket), he's probably a car mechanic or a black cab driver, he owns a large dog.

i don't think he'll come out on Friday night with us, because he'll be with his mates in the Adam and Eve playing darts (or pool), and drinking fifteen pints of lager.

i'd like to point out to Jack, and anyone else out there who hasn't thought about it, that this website is not representative (at all, whatsoever) of people who live and work in SE1 - it is only a representation of those people who have several things in common, as follows;

1 - they have to have acces to the internet
2 - they have to be the kind of person that is interested in local issues (and doing internet searches for local issues)
(difficult to find the site, or even know about it otherwise - no offence James)
3 - they need to have enough free time to be able to spend some time looking at this site
4 - they need to at least share an interest with something someone else has already posted about (else they probably won't stay round long)

therefore these criteria exclude a whole lot of the population who live in SE1 - especially the 'multi-cultural' element, as most of these people would not be that interested in playing tennis in Tanner St park, making Cider, having a frivolous chat about pubic wigs, joining a book club that meets exclusively in local pubs, or any number of other things which i would say, in my opinion, are 'white middle class' things to do.

if anyone doesn't consider this to be a proper, correct and accurate representation, maybe they can reply with reasons why, and maybe i'll be persuaded.

(i've only lived here 4 years, i love it here, i feel like there is a community feel, though only through this website, nothing really local to me, my house. i'm not originally from Surrey, and if it all goes pair shaped, i'd prefer to stay in SE1 than move back to Worcester where i was brought up)
Anonymous User
Thursday 6 April 2006 2.46pm
Jon - you're not nearly nouveau enough to come from Surrey! (TFIC)
Thursday 6 April 2006 2.55pm
wow...what am amazing tangled web of a thread! so the white working class are still with us and fighting back...did they ever go away? and who are they fighting?
SE1 is no different to dozens of places in london that have improved (yes, improved) economically and socially in the last 20 years. anyone who cant see that is blind to reality. poor old Jack Carter ,a relic of the past and not really worth preserving
Pages:  Previous1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ...LastNext
Current: 4 of 22

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from:

Proud to belong to

Independent Community News Network