The Village East "Now Open" Flagpole

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
yas
Friday 7 April 2006 10.18pm
Not sure if I'm the only one irritated by this - and may seem like a small detail but what's the idea behind this ridiculously low and wide flagpole? Nearly bangeg my head on it walking home the other night. Can't believe the council gave approval for this?

If anyone from Village East reads this can you please explain what you are trying to achieve? Isn't the illuminated arrow enough for you? At least you could have stayed in Delfina's and Ticino's style?

I am rather disappointed and would have expected more from the Garrison owners! It's like Jekel and Hyde... I really miss the Honest Cabbage (before they got too good for their own shoes) but I think you did a fairly good job with Garrison. Can't say the same from what I've seen so far of Village East...
Saturday 8 April 2006 8.31am
I'm not tall enough to bang my head on anything but aesthetically speaking I would agree that the simple arrow was tastful and fit in nicely with the character of the area- the big sign starts to get into tacky territory.
Saturday 8 April 2006 9.59am
Not wishing to rock anyone's boat but all signage within the Bermondsey St Conservation Area should conform to the published guidlines.

Internally illuminated signs are prohibited which puts the Viallage East arrow and Kalmars on the wrong side of the fence.

Sadly, the Conservation Area is completely ignored these days.

Regards

Niall
Sunday 9 April 2006 6.57pm
I drove up Bermondsey St earlier - could that sign be any bigger? It's godawful and dangerously low. Not a good addition.
jpm
Monday 10 April 2006 9.47pm
Niall Connolly wrote:
Not wishing to rock anyone's boat but all signage within the Bermondsey St Conservation Area should conform to the published guidlines.
Internally illuminated signs are prohibited which puts the Viallage East arrow and Kalmars on the wrong side of the fence.

Sadly, the Conservation Area is completely ignored these days.

Regards

Niall

interestingly, i heard a southwark councillor explain the other day that the enforcement section in the planning department had been experiencing problems recently - partly due to the quality of agency staff working there.

if this doesnt comply with conservation area rules then the council should be leant on to fulfill their obligations.

do remember there's a (tight) election coming up
Tuesday 11 April 2006 7.49am
Why dont you go in and tell them?
Thursday 13 April 2006 3.03pm
Please!
Tear it down, along with all the other obtrusive 'street furniture', fixed or otherwise, whether on the ground or dangling from above. If its not boarded scaffolding overlaying the pavement, its some mammoth sandwich-board blocking the narrow pavement every few yards...It makes my blood boil!!! Why do I need a giant wooden obstacle informing me of the availability of a Sunday shave or lunch, or a cafe menu the size of a wheelchair blocking my otherwise happy progress along the street, often with a push-chair? (BTW, Its a narrow chair, not one of those cart-width vessels. )
Can I assume that most of these street hazards are there with the tacit permission of the authorities? Is planning permission needed for a sandwich-board on the public pavement? Is it in fact legal at all? And if not, am I allowed to treat it like litter and pick it up and dispose of it? Would I be commiting any offence if I defaced it?
I do occasionally fantasise about doing the rounds with a flat-bed lorry and having and clearing the neighbourhood.
Thursday 13 April 2006 10.54pm
JPM

Sadly Southwark do have a poor reputation when it comes to enforcement. The problem is, as always, that if they let something slide then its harder to justify taking action against anyone else.

Maybe you could write to the Conservation Section (Regeneration, Chiltern House, Portland Street, London SE17 2ES) and remind them that there are conservation area guidlines which Southwark have published. You might also get in touch with Southwark's Conservation Areas Advisory Group (via the Conservation Section) and raise the matter with them.

Regards

Niall
Sunday 16 April 2006 6.34pm
At the risk of muddying this thread with some facts:

1. It's too low - if you are taller than about 6' 6" you will have to duck.
2. It is the exact same type as Delfina's and Ticino's - a vinyl banner mounted on two horizontal poles.
3. It's substantially smaller than either of those.
Monday 17 April 2006 9.52am
It's ugly. It's too low. It's not necessary.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: