New Cafe on Grange Road ?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Saturday 15 February 2003 5.48pm
A planning application has just been submitted to demolish the Final Furlong pub on Grange Road and replace it with flats, a house and a cafe. Is anyone likely to look at the plans - I can't because I can't get there in office hours ? Previous plans to demolish the pub have failed but it would be so great to get a new cafe, hopefully not another 'greasy spoon/ kebab house (not that I have anything against them, it's just we could do with a bit of variety around here). Anyone else around here agree ? If so it's worth dropping a line to the Council's planning office to support the application. For those of us who live close to the pub, it would be a relief not to have to endure the twice-weekly disco until 1am too ......
Monday 17 February 2003 7.54am
i believe there have been several attempts to replace the pub- the last one was rejected because it was 'not appropriate for the area' whatever that means, and that the pub has proved to be popular, and i think southwark council's policy is to try and retain viable pubs, wherever possible. i agree the bouncers and 'Gold' pumping out at 1.00 am is a little tiresome, and selfishly i would like it to be a restaurant or a cooler bar, but i can see where the council is coming from...

Monday 17 February 2003 9.13am
I too would prefer it to be a cooler bar or nice restaurant. As the pub stands, it doesn't appear very approachable or friendly in my opinion (it's also painted in horrid colours).
Monday 17 February 2003 4.24pm
Style Guru's at Southwark rule supreme!

If I ever want to send any money to Nigeria I'm spoilt for choice on Tower Bridge Road but as for a coffee shop or cooler bar - er, no.

Wake up Southwark, area's change faster than you do!
Tuesday 25 February 2003 1.47pm
They close our schools insisting the birthrate has fallen and thousands of schoolage children had supposedly moved away...now we have not enough schools and children are being forced to travel miles.

They sell off our churches saying no one attends....then build piddly little things which have no character....

The pubs are being lost throughout the borough and turned into residential properties, now they want to turn the Final Furlong into a restaurant - or is it another Nigerian Church!

Seriously the pub is revoltingly decorated outside, the inside is not much better, I have used the pub several times, I don't like it or the clientele ( I must have gone there on an exceptionally bad night)

They used to serve meals which were good value and tasty.

But either way don't pull down another bit of old Southwark, the management may change for the better, if the karaoke started earlier perhaps you could get me out quietly before 1am!

jan

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: