Local history books/documents - British History Online

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Monday 10 April 2006 7.03pm
One for local history enthusiasts...

This volume from 1912 covering Southwark, Bermondsey and Lambeth has just been made available via the British History Online project:

A History of the County of Surrey: Vol 4
http://www.british-history.ac.uk/source.asp?pubid=304

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Tuesday 11 April 2006 7.47am
It's a great link James, I thank you for it...mind you me bosses wont as I will be on it all day!
Wednesday 12 April 2006 1.35pm
Quote:
According to the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle it was at Lambeth that in 1041-2 Harthacnut died at the wedding feast of Gyva daughter of Osgood Clappa, 'as he stood at his drink,' falling to the earth 'with a terrible struggle.'
From: 'Lambeth: Introduction and Lambeth Palace', A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 44-50. URL: http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.asp?compid=43030. Date accessed: 12 April 2006.

Not a lot of people know that! (well I didn't)

and I like the automatic source footnotes when you cut and paste fromm the site- be interesting to see whether it deters plagiarism by the secondary school children of Lambeth and Southwark!
Thursday 29 June 2006 3.32pm
Two more documents covering parts of this area have been published by British History Online:

The Environs of London: volume 1 County of Surrey 1792

Old and New London 1878

Sunday 2 July 2006 10.23pm
Just spent a couple of hours reading these. Fascinating. Thanks, James.
Friday 24 November 2006 9.39am
Latest addition to British History Online:
Survey of London: volume 23 - Lambeth: South Bank and Vauxhall - 1951
Quote:
Published to coincide with the Festival of Britain Exhibition of 1951, this volume covers the northern, riverside portion of Lambeth, between Waterloo and Vauxhall Bridges. As well as giving the history of the Festival site itself, the book focuses on the venerable buildings and monuments then scattered among the mostly nineteenth-century houses, dwellings and factories. Chief of these is the Archbishop of Canterbury's residence, Lambeth Palace, which is described and illustrated in detail. Other buildings covered include the Church of St John, Waterloo Road, and some of the eighteenth-century terrace-houses in Kennington Road and Lambeth Road.

Friday 24 November 2006 3.04pm
and the British Library are doing an exhibition on maps of London starting today.
Friday 24 November 2006 3.37pm
JonR wrote:
and the British Library are doing an exhibition on maps of London starting today.

As reported on Today on R4 this morning - Borough High Street got a mention because it was so notorious Henry VIII [I think I heard correctly] wanted to map it in an attempt to regain control over the area - now they try to do it with multiple cameras...

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: