Brunch

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Tuesday 11 April 2006 9.35am
I love weekend brunch, something solid, delicious and not insanely expensive.
So far I have been impressed by the Garrison and Butlers Wharf Chop House.
I must say I was mortified by the Bermondsey Kitchens offerings! I paid loads of money for very little food. I had a poached eggs which were way too runny, with a thick cloying hollandaise sauce that lacked the piquancy it ought to have, with a slice of smoked salmon which was paper thin and stretched over two muffins and for that I was charged around 8!!!! To be fair dinner there can be very good indeed.
Has anyone got other suggestions for a nice reasonable weekend bruch in SE1? I do love living here but I HATE feeling ripped off!
Tuesday 11 April 2006 9.53am
The Hartley does a very good brunch on Saturdays. The half size one is about 5 which is plenty even for hungry men. Unfortunately they don't do them on Sundays. Since new year, we've eaten there a few times in the evenings as well (the burgers are great), and must also say that the service and food have improved vastly since last year. I would not go to the Bermondsey Kitchen or the Garrison for breakfast(expensive, and small portions), but would happily have dinner at either restaurants.
Tuesday 11 April 2006 9.57am
Thanks for the advice.
I think that SOBO do a weekend brunch too. Their coffee is amongst the best I have drunk in London and their cakes are special too. Has anyone tried their Brunch?
Tuesday 11 April 2006 10.12am
SoBo's brunch on Saturday is second to none: very simple, very delicious and very reasonable. And indeed, their coffee is excellent.
Tuesday 11 April 2006 12.28pm
The place for brunch and/or breakfast on Saturdays (or any other day that they serve the above) is of course ROAST - great service, excellent food, unbeatable location. There's no doubt it is expensive but what a treat!
Tuesday 11 April 2006 2.30pm
Worker Bee - can you let us know what one needs to do to receive "great service" in Roast?

I'm sure there are many users of this forum whose jaws will drop in disbelief after reading your comment.
Tuesday 11 April 2006 2.38pm
Worker bee registered on the Forum today.
And I think we can guess where he/she works.....
Tuesday 11 April 2006 3.48pm
<<unbeatable location. There's no doubt it is expensive>>
I think we can leave rroast to the footballers

...if you press it, they will come.
Tuesday 11 April 2006 5.42pm
Come on, you're all missing the real SE1 gems for a weekend treat:

1.) Best of Bermondsey cafe on Grange Road. OK, it's a bit basic inside but their fry-up is excellent. Not greasy, cooked fresh to order, nice sausages and a choice of tomato (fresh fried or hot tinned!) and you get a lovely steaming mug of tea. The staff in there are lovely and always greet you with a smile. The best bit is that you can get two fry-ups with tea for 10.

2.) Terry's cafe on Great Suffolk Street. Not open Sunday I don't believe but Saturday morning - huge door-stop sized bacon sandwich. Staff are great, loads of lovely pictures of old Southwark on the walls and other various knick-knacks to look at. If you're there on Saturday you can also pick up the Sunday joint from the butchers in the same row of shops. A proper butchers, takes orders if you're after a special cut of meat, about half the price of what you pay at Borough market and just as good quality (I used to be a chef in a past life and I'd rate his meat there very highly)

Just a shame that El Vergel isn't open at the weekend too.

P.S. I have no links to either of these establishments.
Tuesday 18 April 2006 12.55pm
I finally went to Roast on Friday night and actually, it was pretty good.
Mr Sarahmc had the gigantic fish and chips with mushy peas and a good homemade (or at least tasted homemade) tartare sauce served rather prettily on a piece of the FT.
3 of us started with cold cuts and piccalili which was scrummy and then 2 of us had mutton stew, both from the set menu. It was delicious but very very rich- I could only eat half. I had the British cheeses for dessert- very good too.
There is no doubting the room is a great space with the fabulous view of St Pauls lit up.
Our particulart able had a sign saying that all the profits from our meal would go to the Princes Trust projects in Southwark.
The much maligned service was fine, although the waiter knocked one of our party in the face with a plate; however it was an accident, no harm was done and he gracefully brought her a glass of champagne to apologise.Only thing which spoiled a really lovely evening was a strobe light going off above Wright brothers on Stony Street at about 11pm.
All in all, I'd recommend it.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: