Congestion Charge - the Reality! Thumbs up or down?

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3
Monday 17 February 2003 4.28pm
I woke up this morning and Great Dover Street was quiet... bliss! The builders were walking to work carrying tools, bikes sped past, there was seats on the bus, no jams on the way - better than a Sunday!

Okay appreciate it is half term but would love to hear what other people thought about day one of the Congestion Charge.

Must hurry home to see the gorgeous girl who presents BBC London news talk about it all....
Monday 17 February 2003 5.55pm
A thumbs up from me - it's been lovely and quiet everywhere I've been today.
Monday 17 February 2003 5.58pm
One thumbs up then!
Monday 17 February 2003 6.57pm
I agree. I also live near Great Dover Street and have never seen the traffic so quiet. Walking to work was so much more pleasant. Work colleagues who take the bus to work were also amazed at how quick their commute was. I just hope it stays like this after the school rat race starts again next week.
Monday 17 February 2003 9.13pm
Thumbs up from us too - we live just outside the zone near Tower Bridge Rd where, supposedly, all the problems would occur, but today it's been great, better than we ever dared hope.... and even if it all goes wrong all the new pedestrian crossings and parking controls have made it a lot nicer place to live already. Nice one Ken, a definate vote-winner for us !!
Monday 17 February 2003 11.27pm
Another thumbs up to the congestion charge - for today at least. St George's Road was beautifully quiet. Lots of bicycles and even a horse clopping gently by! Side streets usually used as rat runs were deserted. Lots of the buses have been re-routed to the contraflow bus lane in London Road (shame for the residents living there though)plus there are three new services running from Elephant to Victoria and to Marylebone and South Kensington. All we need now is for somone to put tickets in the machines beside the bus stops so that we don't have to queue at the tube station for a one day bus pass.
Things are looking up!

By the way does anyone know a joiner who would make old fashioned wooden window shutters so that the constant noise of sirens can be dampened at night ? With heightened security measures in place there seem to be even more sirens than usual.

Tuesday 18 February 2003 12.24am
Eat yer heart out, Norris!

Who'll support dear Mr. Ken a 50% pay rise ?
Tuesday 18 February 2003 2.57am
Ah yes but let us not count our chickens yet.

After all it was bank holiday, I mean it was like a bank holiday no hang on I mean it was half term, which means most businesses in London had shut down and employers had given everyone the day off, also people were frightened when they hear that Bromley Councillors were in the St Georges area and may have fled in terror.

You are also forgetting the terrible sights we saw today, grown men crying as they tried to understand bus maps, AA members going into shock as their personal space was invaded on tubes, gibbering city workers who refused to board trains falling to the floor faintly muttering "there is no such things as society" until their friends gently led them away to a nearby taxi rank.

Plus people are stupid and dont like change and the media has it in for the charge.

Between them with a little bit of effort I reckon they might make a really good idea fail.

Personally though its a thumbs Up.

All the best

Tuesday 18 February 2003 9.12am
Great trip! I did my usual drive from Bermondsey to Sunbury, across Waterloo Bridge, up Kingsway, down Tottenham Court Road, along Marylebone Road and out west to Chiswick and on to Sunbury. Air conditioning, cumfy seats, radio 4 and now much quicker. All for a just a fiver. Instead of: cold walk to Jubbly line tube (hope its working today), friendly jostle with all those happy people at Waterloo, hang around hoping that a train might go on time, 30 minutes in cold train that looks like it used to transport football crowds back from matches, cold walk to the office. All carrying laptop, briefcase etc. ... Works for me!

It had an unexpected result too. According to the reports there were loads more seats on trains, buses and tubes so there must be lots of people who have moved away from London never to return thus relieving the beleagued transport infrastructure. Result all round then.

Tuesday 18 February 2003 1.45pm
I normally walk to work, but took advantage of the exceedingly quiet roads instead... wonderfull... I'll be sure to use my car more often now...hurrah to Ken... keep the lesser-paid minions off our roads !

Pages:  1 2 3 Next
Current: 1 of 3

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: