BEWARE - Window Cleaning Scam

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4
Wednesday 12 April 2006 11.30am
At the risk of sounding REALLY gullible I'm going to tell you how I parted with 15 on my doorstep yesterday.

I live on New Kent Road. A man of around 40 presented himself as a window cleaner. He said 'his guys' did all the windows on my terrace, front and back for 22 per house. I could ask my neighbours, he was trustworthy. His guys would post a card through my door but were very busy in Henshaw Street and John Maurice close now. He was collecting money in advance because his guys didn't like carrying money because it's not safe. Called himself Tony, telephone number 07951 900 809.

Writing the episode down, my mistake is obvious. He caught me off guard and was convincing enough for me to part with 15, albeit under ever so slight pressure. I realised as soon as he closed the front gate that I probably wouldn't see him again. If I'd read this posting last week, I'd have smirked to myself, 'I'd never get caught out like that'. Well I have been and it's really frustrating to know that this guy is obviously raking in money as a confidence trickster. I hope this will help to curtail his nasty little scam. Don't drop your guard when people come to your front door. Pay after any job is done.
Wednesday 12 April 2006 1.11pm
If someone comes up to you in the street claiming to be a "wallet inspector" don't give them your wallet.
Wednesday 12 April 2006 1.24pm
We've been warned at work of an ongoing parcel delivery scam, in which a firm claiming to be PDS Parcel Delivery Service leave a card saying they have a parcel waiting, and asking you to call a 0906 6611911, to arrange redeliver. If you get one of these DO NOT call the number. This number is a mail scam originating from Belize and if you call the number and you start to hear the recorded message you will be charged 15 for the phone call. Not sure if they are just targeting City firms, but best for SE1'ers to be on their guard.
Wednesday 12 April 2006 1.55pm
well someone walked into our office pretending he was selling cheap cigarettes and that the office over the road had sent him to us, he even shouted the girl over the road and waved at her and she waved back, very convincing, so he collected some money and tried to leave to get the contraband, so i went with him, and he said its alright guvnor, you wait here, but i insisted and followed him, and he walked into an estate, and up some stairs at which point I said forget it, give me the money back, cash on delivery etc, he handed back 60 quid which was the amount i thought he had collected, when i returned to the office, it turned out they had given him 100, so i drove back to where i had left and no sign of course, i spotted him by chance half a mile away and collected the outstanding money, but he was a sweet little old man, so watch out for him, he had on a sainsburys fleece, but i doubt there is any connection, he nearly had us right over, the lesson is to stop smoking
Wednesday 12 April 2006 3.06pm
Well it's some comfort to know I'm not the only idiot.
And commiserations steven.h - I know how you feel
I'm truly usually not a fool but this guy was so convincing and I was caught off guard with other things going on around me and I have been trying to find a decent window cleaner for ages.

He came over completely - and by the sound of it's the same guy- honestly.
He's probably a Londoner, white, 40's+, Grey lightish hair , medium build, Beige casual wear, acrylic stripy jumper, looks like a gaffer.

Gave me some yarn that the other neighbours pay every month he'd done the contract on the flats opposite and to substantiate his case, a guy was working up a ladder a few doors down which he communicated with as if he was a colleague.
As soon as he'd gone I realised STUPID STUPID STUPID
Turns out the guy up the ladders was a neighbour.
Wednesday 12 April 2006 3.25pm
Same happened in The Jam Factory last year.
Wednesday 12 April 2006 3.27pm
You're not stupid, they are just b******s. A good judge of character with potentially dodgy sellers of door to door services or cars etc is to ask to take a quick picture of them on your mobile phone. It will quickly deter the faint of heart con artist or at least give you a picture to give to the police or post on this site! I used one one a "charity" seller who shut up shop and scarpered.
Wednesday 12 April 2006 3.35pm
Thanks for the support Jerry
Wednesday 12 April 2006 3.45pm
I can see how a person would fall for this. Sorry it happened, but you seem to be taking it as a lesson learnt, which at least is a positive thing (in a way, if you squint and try to put a bright side to things).

I can't see that it's worth people's while to invest all that ingenuity and guile in conning you for 15 though. It amazes me. This bloke obviously had enough acting talent to be worth more than 15 an hour. Why would he not get a proper job and put his undoubted talents to better use?

...if you press it, they will come.
Anonymous User
Wednesday 12 April 2006 3.49pm
Don't you often think though when a really clever scam is finally uncovered that if the 'perps' (I've always wanted to say that!) put that much energy & ingenuity into making a legit living they'd make a fortune?
Pages:  1 2 3 4 Next
Current: 1 of 4

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: