Cycle lane removed on Blackfriars Road

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Wednesday 12 April 2006 12.54pm
In the past few weeks, there have been road works on Blackfriars Road. Although the pavement was already very large, they seem to have removed the cycle lane to enlarge the pavement even further. That is a very busy road which I use to commute on bike like many Ciy workers. I don't understand the point of removing the cycle lane. I am now very worried for my safety, I have already been knocked down by a careless driver on that road 6 months ago! Does anyone know if there is any plan to turn one of the 2 driving lanes into a bus lane?
Wednesday 12 April 2006 4.42pm
I wondered why, on a road with very wide pavements in the first place, they decided that they needed to be even wider!

I also don't agree with cycles sharing bus lanes when there is space for a separate cycle lane at the side.
Wednesday 12 April 2006 4.49pm
I've emailed a link to this thread to Barry Mason, the coordinator of Southwark Cyclists. He posts here occasionally. I think he has been involved in meetings with TfL, the council and others about provision for cyclists on Blackfriars Road. I'm sure he can fill us in on what's planned.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 12 April 2006 8.43pm
The woman who was killed on Blackfriars Bridge (last year?) was using the Cycle Lane which runs between two lines of diverging traffic. At the time it was said that this type of Cycle Lane was recognised to be dangerous and that it would be removed - it's still there and I rarely see anyone using it, most cyclists stick to the road edge and enter traffic flow at the last minute to go North.

Cycle Lanes are somewhat bizarre in their execution - there's one running West on Southwark Street, near the Kircaldy Testing Works (??) which is as wide as a car and isn't green. Meanwhile down in Kennington at the corner of Cleaver Street and Kennington Road there's a Cycle Lane which appears on the pavement for no apparent reason and is barely longer than the length of a bike!
Thursday 13 April 2006 9.03am
The bridge is a whole other kettle of fish - you can see what's planned there on the City Cyclists website: http://www.citycyclists.org.uk
They've been lobbying hard to get a satisfactory road layout.

Editor of the London SE1 website.
Subscribe to our SE1 Direct weekly newsletter.
Wednesday 5 July 2006 8.58am
The works on Blackfriars Road are getting madder and madder. Not only the cycle lane has been reduced, but they have also removed it in parts. Now, they have even removed the northbound bus lane outside Southwark station preventing buses/bikes to go straight ahead and forcing them into the remaining single traffic lane. My bike being broken, I took the bus this morning but had to walk instead as the traffic was horrendous. On the news this week, they were talking about the increase of cycling in inner-London and all the efforts made to improve cycle safety. Well, this is a perfect example of an expensive, pointless and dangerous endeavour which will brings no improvement whatsoever to anyone.

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: