St Thomas' Hospital dirty room

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2
Thursday 13 April 2006 7.11am
Who would be the best person to write to or contact about the state of my husbands room in st thomas's? He has been very poorly for the past two weeks and all my attention has been on I am looking around and don't like what I see.

There's blood stains on the rails of the bed, under the bed needs and around the room needs a good scrub, the over bed table has a encrusted line of grime behind the rail to stop plates sliding off.....stains on the bottom of the trolley.....I mentioned it to a nice lady doctor and she said she would report it, but they are very busy and in case it slips her mind....I seriously thought about contact a micr thingmajig to test the blood and see if it was Don's! He's in Hillyers Ward if that makes any difference as to who would deal with it....
Thursday 13 April 2006 8.38am
First stop should be the CEO of the Health Trust running the hospital. This is alas a common complaint in our hospitals and it is most disturbing. The trouble is that the quality of the cleaning staff is hard to keep tabs on (one person's "clean" is another person's "lick and a promise"). I expect they change all the time and it's the sort of low paid work that attracts all kinds of transient workers. Everyone THINKS they can clean, just as everyone thinks they can paint. But cleaning is an art. Raise a rumpus Jan, and here's wishing your husband better soon.
Thursday 13 April 2006 9.27am
The Director of Facilities at St Thomas' is Steve Mcguire or the Chair of the Trust is Patricia Moberley both of whom would be able to help
Thursday 13 April 2006 9.52am
Hospital cleanliness in London is very poor, but it's symptomatic of wider management problems. My wife was in St. Thomas's recently having a baby, and we were struck by the organisational chaos which prevailed in the place. Large numbers of (nursing) staff mill around with little organisation. Prescriptions forgotten, ward round missed and no one - apparently - with overall responsibility. The vast increase in spending on health is in danger of delivering little improvement in outcomes because of weak or non-existent management.
Thursday 13 April 2006 1.33pm

Sorry to hear about this.

Certainly write to the facilities manager, but do send a copy to your MP as well as to the Chief Executive (Sir Jonathan Michael)and Chair of the Trust.

My experience is that there seem to be enormous and unacceptable variations between Departments within the two hospitals.

My dad has been shuttling back and forth between clinics at the two for the last five years, and when picking him I' ve been struck by the contrast between most public areas (where cleaning seems to have improved dramatically) and the standards elsewhere.

Just under four years ago he was in St Thomas' for heart surgery and the general wards (not just the high dependency ward) seemed spotless, and the nursing team were great.

Three years ago he was in the newest block of Guy's (Thomas Guy house) for a knee replacement and IMO that was unacceptably poorly maintained - not actually grimy, but definitely not being cleaned thoroughly enough for infection control. The nursing staff were shambolic (and got his medication doses completely wrong).

I think a lot depends on the senior nursing staff running a particular ward - some of them keep on top of the cleaning contractors as well as ensuring their own nursing team are well organised.
Wednesday 26 April 2006 9.14am
I am sorry to hear your concerns about the cleaning on your husband's ward. We are a very large and busy Trust and I understand that occasionally there can be problems. I am in charge of the Trust's Patient Advice and Liaison Service and we are here to help patients resolve any problems they have during their time in hospital. If you want to contact me directly on or 020 7188 4766 I'd be happy to hear from you and help in any way I can. Other members of our team can also be contacted at
Wednesday 26 April 2006 9.18am
Well done Guys & Thomas's for replying and for being aware of our Forum...who says we dont have muscle?As I said in a previous post, raising a rumpus is VITAL.
Thursday 27 April 2006 9.24pm
Have to say that I had an issue at St T's a couple of weeks ago, and I contacted PALs - they were great and sorted my problem out within 48 hours - this was after my Gp had tried, and I'd called the clinic direct - so a big thanks to them!
Friday 28 April 2006 11.50am
Slightly off topic, a once white van drove by me yesterday, and written in the dirt on the back was "cleaned by the NHS" ...
Friday 28 April 2006 12.06pm
some cretin gave Don a cup of tea....half the time he's very confused, where their brains were...he dropped it on the bed and the pad under him soaked it up and gave him a burn. the plastic surgeons are coming to look at it to advise as to what this space....I have just received a message from PALS returning my call...
Pages:  1 2 Next
Current: 1 of 2

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: