Small buses on No 1 Route

Join in these discussions today! Log in or register.
Thursday 13 April 2006 8.51am
Does anyone know why the number 1 bus route has started running small buses (single decker and not bendy)?

I thought it might have been a one off the other night but now several times in the last couple of weeks I have either been on very crowded buses that are so busy they can't stop at popular "getting on" stops or but unfortunate enough to not be able to get on at all. It was the same this morning. A crowded bus at rush hour.

There were plenty of buses until recently and surely it can't be hard to fix or replace a broken bus if that's the problem.
Thursday 13 April 2006 9.50am
The London Bus Routes site shows that there will be additional buses on Route 1 in the mornings heading into town, but they're not meant to start until next week.

It does seem strange that the 1 is using single deckers - that route is always packed.
Thursday 13 April 2006 10.01am
I could understand if they were laying on an extra "half" bus in between the regular buses but this morning and on the other occasions (which have mainly been in the evening) there has always been the usual gap between buses and then the look of bewilderment followed by the inevitable scrum as everyone charges to get on the noddy bus.

There was a period a month or so ago, not long after the company running the number 1 route changed, where it seemed they were setting two buses off at the same time in the west bound direction. This meant a longer wait between buses but actually sped up the journey as they could leap-frog each other and if the first was crowded you could get the second. Seemed like a good idea but then they put men with clipboards on for a week and now we have noddy buses!

To post a message, please log in or register..

Keep up with SE1 news

We have three email newsletters for you to choose from: